37: Sickness

Elle and Ryder burst through the doors of Cell Block D. Walkers, everywhere. Kids were screaming, running away from the danger. But danger was all around. There was no running away.

"Elle!" Ryder shouted, throwing a crowbar to the girl. She caught it before silencing the walker closest nearby. Someone started firing a gun, only making the walkers more active at the loud noise. Elle and Ryder were doing their best to control the amount of walkers coming their way, but the gun fire did not help.

"Elle! Ryder!" Someone shouted.

"Glenn?!" Elle yelled as she killed another walker. Help had come. She could see Glenn, Daryl, Cody, and Rick.

"Someone help!" A girl screamed. Elle turned around frantically to find the source of the screaming, and her eyes landed on Sarah. She was holding a walker back with all of her strength, which wasn't a lot. Elle ran over to help, but the walker's face was to close to Sarah's. If Elle were to stab the walker, it could hit Sarah, killing her. Without hesitating, she held the crow bar like a baseball bat and caved the walker's head in. "Thank you." She cried. Elle directed Sarah over to Karen, where she helped the children.

___________________

The small group now stood over Patrick's dead body. He had dried blood that looked like it was coming out of his eyes, throat, and ears. It was like he drowned in his own blood. Hopefully he didn't suffer, that sounds horrible.

"He wasn't bit. He must've turned and did this." Hershel said. Elle was confused. How could he have turned?

"Wait, how?" She asked out loud. Rick looked at her.

"I told the group, a while ago." He said, just as confused.

"She wasn't there that night. It was the night after the farm fell." Daryl told his friend.

"We all turn." Rick said, making strong eye contact with the teenager. She sighed. She had seen Merle as a walker, but it never really rendered in her brain as to how he had turned. Not until now. If Elle were to die without a blunt trauma to her brain, she would turn into a live flesh craving walker. Hershel started to explain how Patrick had died and attacked the cell block. The animals in the woods were getting sick, and Daryl and Elle hunted those animals and brought them back.

_____________________________

"How are we supposed to know how fast this thing kills you?" Michonne asked the rest of the council. The council at the moment was sitting at a large table found in the back of the library. Now, they were trying to figure out how to keep this thing from spreading.

"Patrick was eating barbecue yesterday and he seemed fine then." Elle told the group.

"About an hour later at story time, he excused himself because he felt sick." Carol added.

"Then he died and did all this over night." Elle sighed. "How fast are we thinking now?" She crossed her arms.

"Too fast." Rick said, rubbing his beard like he usually did when he was contemplating something. "We separate everyone."

They had discussed how exactly they would separate everyone. Children as well as the elderly will stay in the warden's building. The children and elderly who were exposed will stay in a separate room until they are sure they aren't sick. The sick will stay in Cell Block A, death row. Ironic huh? The adults who weren't exposed or near anyone who was exposed, will help distribute the supplies and food to everyone.