66: Sing Me a Song

Discovering that they weren't the only stowaways in Negan's supply truck, Elle and Paul had questions. "What the hell are you doing here?" Elle asked as Carl stood up from his hiding spot. She wasn't mad or upset, more surprised to see him. If he was in the same truck as them, that meant he was at Hilltop in order to even get on it.

"Same thing you're doing. Killing Negan." He answered, stepping over boxes in order to be standing in front of them. Elle immediately hugged him, seeing him for the first time in a week. "How's Maggie?"

"Maggie's fine, she's great. The baby's okay, Doctor Carson wants her to stay there for the rest of the pregnancy just in case."

"How have you been holding up?" He asked, concerned about her after hearing that Maggie will be just fine.

"Sleepless nights, lots of crying." She replied honestly with a small shrug. "What about you? How's everyone else?"

"I'm more angry than I am depressed, but it's hard- it's different. My dad has been out getting stuff for Negan, scared of what's going to happen if he doesn't. Negan asked about you, yesterday. Maggie too." Carl told her.

"Does he knows she's at Hilltop?" Paul asked, pausing as he looked through boxes and crates.

Carl shook his head. "We told him that she died, had a fake grave and everything. We told him you were out on a run and he said he was looking forward to meeting the person you used to be." He explained.

"Person she used to be?" Paul raised an eyebrow.

"The person who had no issue killing anyone who got in her way."

"Well, Negan's about to be pleasantly surprised then, hm?" Elle said, prying open a crate that she learned to be filled with guns. They could feel the truck starting to slow down, immediately closing anything they had opened, they made their way to the back of the truck and hid behind the towers of boxes.

Elle and Carl had hid in the same corner, as the space was big enough for the both of them to fit in comfortably. They could hear the two men make their way around to the back of the truck and sit on the edge of it. Paul put a finger to his lips, telling them to stay silent and still.

One of the men opened a crate and pulled a cucumber out, they could hear him eating it obnoxiously. "Still going." The other man said. "Looks like the end of them, though."

"All damn night." The man who was eating complained. "At least Negan's smart enough to not let that mess anywhere near us."

"Fat Joey's good for something, at least."

"What, eating cake?"

"He rigged the herdway." Herdway? What the hell is that? "Just trips. Nothing fancy. Guerilla kind of stuff."

"What kind of stuff?"

"As in warfare, idiot. Those demo sticks from that run last month, the RPGs from the new guys." The 'new guys' being the people of Alexandria, the RPGs being the large guns Daryl, Abraham, and Sasha brought back the night the walkers invaded their streets. "Maybe it takes it down. Takes them out." He paused. "All right, it's a trickle. Let's go."

"Finally." The man threw his unfinished cucumber back in the crate as they left the back of the truck. As soon as the truck started moving again, the three of them came out of hiding and began looking through all of the stuff once more.

"Really?" Elle chuckled when she watched as Paul ran his knife along the bottom of the thin cardboard box that held Gregory's alcohol, making it so that whenever someone picked it up, it would all fall out of the bottom, wasting all of the liquor.