49: Coda

I know last chapter was 49, but I seem to have forgotten how to count ;) so I went from 44 to 46... yeah. When I rewrite the beginning chapters, I'll fix that. This is actually chapter 49. Okay, now you may read this shit fest.

__________________

The group was saying their goodbyes to Abraham and his - now bigger - crew. In the group was Abraham, Rosita, Eugene, Maggie, Glenn, and Tara. The three decided to go with them to DC where Eugene said he needed to be so he can fix the world.

Everyone was hopeful it would work, and the next time they would see each other, the world would be restored. But deep down, everyone knew something was off; they didn't believe.

They drove off in the church bus they fixed up, and were soon on their way to Washington D.C. .

Everything needed to go back to normal. People keep dying, and the group can't handle any more losses. They had to say goodbye to Bob just this morning. They needed this to be real.

❀❀❀

"She'll be okay, right? I mean, tons of people get hit by cars and live." Elle shrugged. Beth stayed silent. "She's tough, she has to live. Plus, there were pretty much only bruises." She tried convincing herself that everything would be okay. That somehow the group would find them, that she would see her brother again, that she would see Carl again, Beth would see Maggie, everything would be back to the way it was.

"You two should get some sleep." Dawn said, entering the room again. She let them sit there with Carol for about an hour, alone. When the two didn't move, she spoke again. "I'm not asking, I'm telling."

Reluctantly, the two slowly stood up, making their way to their rooms.

Elle pulled the hair tie out of her hair, letting her curls fall over her shoulders, she then ran her fingers through her roots, rubbing her scalp. She quietly walked through the dark hallways of the hospital, hearing a cough or a sneeze or a snore on the other side of each door she walked by.

This place was sick. They would bring in people who were hurt, fix them, and make them work until they "pay it off." If they couldn't find hurt people, they would hurt them themselves, bring them in, and tell them some bullshit story about how they saved their life and they owed them.

Noah's story made Elle sick to her stomach. He and his dad were in a car accident, they tried to save his dad but gave up when they started running out of resources and saved him instead. He said he had been at the hospital for about a year working off resources used for both him and his dead father. She was glad he was able to escape. Hopefully he was making his way back to his mom and brothers.

Elle quietly opened the door to her room and slipped inside, closing the heavy door behind her. She decided that would change into clean scrubs in the morning, so she went straight for the bed, getting under the blanket. She took one last look out the huge window and closed her eyes.

❀❀❀

"Okay, let me get this straight: Beth, Elle, and Carol are all at Grady Memorial, in downtown Atlanta? Alive?" Rick asked. Noah nodded. Noah had found Carol and Daryl, or, they found him, and they were all looking for the same two people when Carol was hit by a car. Noah told Daryl to let them help her, and Daryl took Noah back to the church, where he told them everything he knew. Now, Rick and some others plan on going to Atlanta to get their people back.