8: Highway to Hell

Elle's P.O.V.

     It's been 3 days. 3 days since the CDC blew up. 3 days since we learned how walkers turn. 3 days since Jacqui died.

     It's hot. We were on a highway and I could feel Glenn staring at me. Hes been doing that ever since he convinced me to go with him. I'm not suicidal, but I saw a chance. I brought this up many times, but he doesn't seem to listen. Everyone's noticed how close we've gotten, they know we see eachother as siblings. I always had older brothers, he always had younger sisters, it's like we were perfect for eachother. 

     The RV stopped when there was a popping noise in the engine. Everyone else stopped their vehicles.

     "Talk to me Dale." Shane said walking up to the RV. 

     "Engine's blown again." Dale responded, stepping outside. We all walked outside. Rick and Dale started talking, but I wasn't listening because I was too busy looking at all the supplies we could find in these cars. I rolled up the sleeves of my grey flannel and started looking. 

     "Carl, always within my sight." Lori told her son.

     "You too, Sophia." Carol added. They nodded and started looking around. Glenn started fixing the engine and Shane saw a truck. He lifted up the door to reveal a bunch of water. 

     "Glenn? We were running low on water?" Shane shouted with a smile on his face. He unscrewed the cap and started dumping it on his head. Glenn started laughing with a huge smile.

     "Save some for me!" I laughed. I ran up and did the same thing Shane was doing. I let my hair down and the water soaked my shirt and curls. It felt nice. 

     "Everyone, get under the cars! Now!" Rick whispered. We looked over to see a small group of maybe 25 walkers making their way towards us. Shane and Glenn dove under one car, and I under another. I had my knife out and ready in case any got the idea where we were. I made eye contact with Rick from under our cars. He brought a finger up to his mouth to signal us to be quiet. With every walker that limped by, I gripped my knife tighter. After a few minutes, the coast was clear. Rick hasn't given anyone the signal to get out, so we remained. 

     But Sophia tried getting out, and was startled by 2 walkers. Without thinking, she ran into the woods. Rick did not hesitate to go after her. Carol started crying as Shane and Lori held her back. 
I decided to go into the RV.

     "Oh my God, Andrea. Are you okay?" I asked. She was covered in blood and there was a dead Walker sitting there.

     "Yeah. One just got in." She said. She wouldn't make eye contact and she sounded out of breath. "What's going on out there?" She asked.

     "When the herd was passing, we all hid under the cars. Sophia started to get out, but there were 2 stragglers and they chased her into the woods. Rick's out there trying to get her." I explained. "I'll leave you to get cleaned up." I said as I shut the RV door behind me. 

     "They back yet?" I asked coming to behind Glenn. He shook his head. A few minutes later, Rick came back.

     "Did you find her?" Carol asked.

"Shes not here?" He responded.

     "What do you mean?" I asked Rick.

     "I found her, I told her to stay hidden so I could lure the walkers away and kill them. I told her if I wasn't back, to come back here. Keep the sun on her left shoulder. When I killed them and went back for her, she left." He briefly explained. He and Daryl went out to look for her.