14: The Barn

Elle's P.O.V.

We were all eating eggs around our small camp, when Glenn stood in front of everyone. Nobody payed too much attention to him. 

"Um, guys." He started. Some people looked up. "There's walkers in the barn." He said. THAT got everyone's attention. I almost choked on my eggs. 

"What?" I coughed. Everyone stood up and went to the barn, Shane was pissed off.

"Shane, calm down." Rick tried.

"You cant be okay with this, man." Shane argued.

"I'm not, but this isn't our land."

"Its our lives!" Shane retorted.

"Let me talk to Hershel." Rick tried.

"I talked to him yesterday. He sees these things as sick people. His wife, his stepson." Dale explained. 

"You knew?" I asked him.

"Glenn told me yesterday."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Shane asked.

"Because I thought we could make it another night, we did. Glenn wanted to be the one to say something." Dale admitted. After a few more arguments were spoken, the walkers started banging on the door. Rick agreed to talk to Hershel, and everyone else was anxious.

We were sitting around all day, just itching to know what Hershel says. I was taking my knife to a tree, carving my name into it. 

"Whatcha doing?" I heard Carl ask from behind me. 

"Just waiting to hear what Hershel had to say. I already know hes gonna say nothing good." I responded looking up at him.

Carl's P.O.V.

She looked up at me, meeting my eyes. I sat down next to her, not breaking the contact. I never noticed how detailed her dark blue eyes were, lately when I saw them, she was crying out in pain, getting a bullet dug out of her torso. 

"Shane wants to empty the barn and kill all the walkers." I told her. 

"I bet he does." She said, turning back to her carving. 

"Elle, can I ask you something?" I started. 

"Fire away." She said putting her knife down. 

"What happened that day at school? I remember being told that some girl named 'Elle Clarke' was arrested for beating a kid up. Then when you first got to camp, Shane said he was the one to arrest you." I finished. Elle took a deep breath before returning to her carving.

"A boy in 7th grade had been picking on my friend for a few years now. I told him to stop, he took it too far. I ended up taking it too far as well. I broke the kids nose, I dislocated a rib or 2, some kid called the cops and I was cuffed. I'm glad I was cuffed, otherwise I would have been charged with murder, not assult." She explained. One thing I've learned, don't mess with Elle Clarke. 

"What did your parents say?" I blurted out. She took her knife out of the tree before putting it in her holster.

"I don't know. All I heard was my mom crying." She said quietly. We stood up when my mom called us in for lunch. We took our time as we walked, enjoying the autumn breeze. Elle swiped the hat off my head before putting it on hers. I let out a dramatic gasp as she smirked. Mom just laughed at our playing.

We went inside and Beth gave us sandwiches. We thanked her before golfing them down. When we were done, we decided to go back outside. We read some of the comics she got for me in Atlanta.