41: Too Far Gone

Rick set a hand on Carl's shoulder, about to go talk to the Governor. Everyone had suspected the evil man had died, but were still cautious as his body never wound up.  Rick slowly made his way down the hill, following the gravel path.

Everyone watched, fear in their eyes, waiting for something to go wrong, resulting in their leader's death. But that moment didn't come.

Eventually, as the two men talked, the group at the top of the hill spread out along the fence, watching intensely at the conversation.

"Is Hershel on the council?" The Governor asked. Only a moment after he asked that question, a man walked over to the car and opened the door. The man dragged Hershel Greene out of the car and sat him on the ground, in front of the evil, one-eyed man, hands tied behind his back. Beth and Maggie, seeing their father, started freaking out.

"What about Michonne? She on the council too?" He shouted. The next thing they saw was the same man drag Michonne out of the same car. He made her sit on her knees, hands tied behind her back as well. The group tensed at the sight of two of their friends in danger.

While Rick tried to reason with the Governor, Daryl walked over to the weapon cart. The cart was full of all types of guns, guns that Rick, Michonne, Carl and Elle had collected on a supply run months ago. Daryl slowly made his way to everyone, giving them a gun.

"Elle," he whispered, catching the girl's attention who was focused on the situation at the bottom of the hill. "Shot gun or semiautomatic?"

"Whatever does the most damage." She said. Daryl nodded, handing her a semiautomatic and some clips. Carl stood to her left, and Daryl handed him a shotgun. The two set their guns up, the barrel sitting through a hole in the fence, aiming at the Governor.

"I could end this right now." Carl growled.

"From over fifty feet?" Daryl doubted outloud, beside the teenage boy.

"I'm a good shot." Carl retorted.

"Your dad knows what he's doing. Plus, you don't want to start something else." Daryl said, convincing the brunette haired boy.

Everybody stared, listening to the conversation. Rick tried to offer that the two groups live in the prison, together, but on opposite sides and that they wouldn't have to see eachother until they were all ready. Though, nobody thought that plan would actually work out, not even Rick. He was just trying to stall as he thought of a way to save Hershel and Michonne.

Elle zoned out, she wasn't listening to the conversation anymore. All she focused on was where her gun was aimed. The Governor. The man who hurt people she cared about, loved. All she wanted to do at that very second was pull the trigger and kill him. She wanted to watch a bullet enter his forehead, and exit the back of his head, sending blood flying as it did so. She wanted to watch his body fall and hit the ground and never get back up. As she thought these gruesome, yet satisfying thoughts, the Governor got mad. He walked over to the car that Hershel and Michonne previously sat, and pulled out a sword. But not any sword, Michonne's katana. He walked over and held the sword up to Hershel's neck, getting more of a reaction from Beth and Maggie.

Elle, Carl, and Daryl all had a tighter grip on their guns, waiting for the moment where they could pull the trigger. Rick continued trying to reason with the Governor. He told him about how everybody changed when the world died. And how everybody could come back from what they had become. Thieves, murderers, cold blooded. Rick said they weren't too far gone, that they could all be themselves again if they lived like civilized people in the prison.

The Governor started to slowly bring the sword away from Hershel's neck, who had a smile on his face. Hershel was proud of Rick. Rick used to think that killing was the only option, so seeing that he was trying to reason with the enemy, made him proud that he taught Rick otherwise.