58: Just Survive Somehow

Carl rushed to the door and Elle rushed to the window to peer outside. In the distance, there were bodies lying on the ground, bloodied and dismembered. "There are people here." Carl said in an urgent tone as he walked towards one of the closets.

"Yeah, no shit. They're hacking off everyone's legs— how did we not hear people screaming?" She said, turning to him, growing curious as to what he was digging around for. He pulled out guns, big ones. She didn't know they had weapons hidden in the house, but she wasn't surprised in the slightest. In fact, she was happy.

"I don't know, but we need to stay here and protect Judith." Carl handed her one and she checked the clip.

"You don't actually expect me to stay here, do you?" She questioned, satisfied with the amount of ammunition she had.

"You are not going out there."

"Carl, these people don't have guns. The armory does, with people dying in the streets— I doubt anyone has had a chance to defend it." She walked across the house to go out the back door.

"Elle," Carl grabbed her arm, turning her around to face him. He took a deep breath, knowing that there was no use arguing with her. "Be safe."

"Always." She gave him a small smirk before quickly opening the door and stepping outside, hearing Carl lock the door behind her for further safety. Elle snuck behind a few houses before putting herself out on the street.

She could hear some gunfire in the distance, but it was hard to tell with the horn still going off. She carefully walked down the street, gun raised. There were people screaming and crying, she winced at the sound of a childlike shriek that rang through the air. Whoever these people were, they were psychopaths.

She was met by one of the strangers who was rubbing his finger on his forehead. She got a closer look to see that he was rubbing blood over a scar that appeared to be the letter 'W.' The man looked up and noticed Elle, quickly lunging at her.

She pulled the trigger, but the man was moving so fast, it flew right by him. She decided to run back behind the buildings, leading him there as well to draw attention away from them.

She quickly stopped around the corner and when he turned, she hit him in the face with the butt of the gun. He grunted yet almost seemed as if he weren't phased by the action at all. He pulled out a machete that was tucked into his belt. The blade looked dull and had blood on it, probably from multiple people. He wore an evil grin on his face as he lifted his arm to swing the weapon.

Elle defended herself, using the gun to make contact with the blade as if it were a shield. He had tried to hit her a few more times and she defended herself the same way. The last time he did it, he used this as an advantage, when she lifted her arms up, he kicked her in the stomach, sending her back.

She landed on her back and she dropped the gun. She groaned as she tried to catch her breath. As the man quickly approached her, she noticed the dagger that sat next to the machete in his belt.

Trying to scoot herself away, she failed and he grabbed her by the collar. She took this chance to lunge forward and grab the dagger, nicking his arm that held her. He dropped her and she quickly stood up, using the dagger as her new defense. She could feel a bruise forming on her ribs.

There was distance gunfire, but it was much closer, like it were coming from inside the walls. The noise caught Elle's attention, distracting her from her current situation. The man with the 'W' lunged at her once again but she ducked out of the way this time.

She was out of breath and the kick to the ribs was no help, her struggle to breathe was very evident. This time when the man ran at her, she had to stay in place as she couldn't catch her breath well enough to try and run, holding the dagger up.