phone call

Once Clay is done getting changed, he offers me to shower as well. I accept, feeling gross from the sweat. "Oh, feel free to grab something from my clothes if you want to change." Sapnap elbows him in the side and Clay rolls his eyes. "You don't have to, though."

I thank him and leave the two boys alone. Clay's bathroom is freaking amazing. He has more shower products than I've had in my entire life, but I'm not complaining. He has a fruity body wash thing that looks like it's never been used, so I try it out. 

Not to uh toot my own horn... But I smell like a freaking snack coming out of that shower. I put my shorts on, but my shirt is soaked with sweat from the hot weather. Still in just a sports bra, I leap across the hallway into what I assume is Clay's bedroom. 

Let me tell you... that man has no shortage of sweatshirts. I take one from his merch. I have my own, of course, but his is bigger and somehow more comfy. I go back into the bathroom to dry my hair a little more then comb it out with my fingers and go to join the boys.

"Geez, took you long enough," Sapnap says, laughing when I walk in. Clay is blushing a little, but I probably would too if he was wearing my sweatshirt.

"Did you eat yet, Nick?" Clay asks. He shakes his head. "Cool, cool. Any preferences for lunch." I just shrug. I hate making decisions. "Wow you guys are so helpful," he says, glaring at Nick who also shrugged. 

Nick and I follow him into his kitchen. Nick starts searching through the fridge and I sit on the counter. "Dude, your fridge looks like a college frat boy filled it."

"Uh... Must I remind you, I'm not that much older than you? And don't be mean. I haven't gone shopping this week." I smile at their antics.

"Y/n, what do you want? Any specific allergies or preferences? Oh, do you need to eat a certain way for swimming?"

"You sound like my coach," I groan.

"I'm take that as a compliment." I can't help but smile.

"You're so stubborn."

"I know. You like it." It's my turn. My turn to respond. And I need to, but I get so overwhelmed thinking about it that I just blush. 

"I do," I mumble. Nick cracks up.

"Oh, what the hell was that?! Someone catch me up," he gets out between waves of laughter. Clay joins in, but I'm too embarrassed. What even is this? Are we actually flirting... or is it a joke?

"Nothing," Clay says, noticing my silence. "It's from a show."

"Oh. Lame," Nick says, clearly wishing it was something more. Yeah... me too, Sapnap.

After a delicious lunch of ramen for the boys and an omelet for me (Clay insisted on making me something healthier so that I didn't have to worry about swim as much,) we leave Clay's apartment and start walking toward my house. 

"I hear you have a pretty sick place?" Nick asks.

"Uh, yeah. I like it. My friend, Thomas helped me pick it out."

"Your friend???? Hmm. Do elaborate."

"Oh my god you idiot. Yes, my FRIEND. Since kindergarten."

"Clay... looks like you have some tough competition." I feel my face burning red, but Clay remains neutral.

"Nah, I met Thomas. We talked."

"You WHAT?!?!?!" He just smiles, and runs away. "Nick," I start, but he runs away too. "You idiots! I thought we already talked about this! I CAN NOT RUN!" But, of course, I run anyway. 

~time skip~

The boys have been at my house all day, but it's late and I need to go to bed. "Hey... I really got to get some sleep. I have morning practice at 4."

"Holy shit! Who gets up that early?? And to jump in a pool..." I smile.

"Uh... I guess me now."

"Oh my god, you idiot. Why didn't you tell me you had practice so early?" Clay asks, already starting to clean up.

"I dunno. Slipped my mind?" He rolls his eyes.

Nick cleans the dishes we used for dinner while Clay and I pick up the living room. We're all silent, but it's a peaceful silence that slows my heartbeat a little. It only takes ten minutes with the three of us cleaning up.

"You leaving your car here and walking or driving it back?" Nick asks, glancing out the front window.

"Can you drive it back? I'm gonna walk home." Nick agrees. "Why don't you head home now. You're probably exhausted from flying. I'll be there in a little bit." 

To my surprise, Nick agrees without an argument. I figured he'd want to stay, but Clay is right, he's probably so so tired. I crawl into bed, still wearing Clay's sweatshirt and he lays next to me again like it's the most natural thing in the world. "Goodnight Moo. Sleep well," he whispers. This time, he gently strokes my back until I pass out. 

A little while later, I wake up to the sound of him shuffling around. I assume he just got up to leave and wonder how long I slept. I really want to check my phone for the time, but I don't want him to see that I'm awake and think he has to stay longer. I'm sure he's tired too.

I hear him sigh then sit down in my desk chair.

"God, what am I supposed to do?! I-i think I really like her." His voice rings out in a whisper. At first I think he's talking to me or just thinking out loud, but then I hear a faint voice that sounds like it's coming from a phone. Oh. He's just on a phone call. I try to listen to the voice. 

"I don't know, Clay. Just give it time." Nick maybe?

"This is ridiculous. All it took was like two weeks. Whyyyyyyy," he groans desperately.

"Look dude. I think you need to wait. Let her settle in and see how it goes. The poor girl has a lot going on in her life."

"I know." Another sigh. "Okay... I'll be home soon I guess."

"Okay. I know it sucks man. Trust me, though, it'll be okay in time. I'll see you in a little bit."

"Thank you. Bye." A low tone that tells me he hung up. I think he drops his phone because I hear a small bang on my desk. "Shit!" He stands up and walks toward me. I barely dare to breath.

"Goodnight beautiful. See you tomorrow." And with that, he leaves.

To be continued...