fireflies

My parents are so excited to talk about my trip that I lose track of time. Nick comes outside looking for me after a while and tells me that everyone is ready to go. I quickly say goodbye to my parents and follow him inside. When I join everyone in the living room, I automatically feel the tense environment. What happened while I was outside?

No one says anything for a moment, so I just awkwardly stand near the door. Eventually Nick says, "Alrighty then... Wanna go now?" Clay, who looks pissed, nods and walks out of the room, barely even glancing at me. Shit. Did I do something? Nick follows him, leaving George and I. George shows no interest in moving, so I leave him alone and walk after Nick.

George joins us outside after a moment, face a light shade of pink. "I'm sorry, Clay. Can we please move on?" He asks, surprising me. Clay rolls his eyes in response then mumbles something. "Please, Dream. If you still want to talk about it later, we can, but let's not do this now."

"Fine," he grumbles. I try to make eye contact with Nick, but he's apparently become absolutely fascinated with the grass. "Where are we going to eat?"

George leads the way claiming that it's only a short walk. I'm kinda used to driving everywhere, so it's nice to just walk through his town. He points out a few cool buildings on the way, but it's hard to listen when I'm feeling so hungry. Clay walks by himself for a while but eventually joins me on the sidewalk.

George and Nick are walking in front of us talking in a whisper. At some point, George glances back and Clay aggressively grabs my hand. I let him, not wanting to anger him even further. After about thirty minutes, we reach an old looking diner. As we enter, I realize that only the outside is old. The inside looks brand new and squeaky clean.

I love the atmosphere of this place the most. Everyone seems to be laughing or at least smiling. This might be just what we need to clear up the moodiness. Once we find a seat, I excuse myself to use the bathroom. I of course take a few selfies especially since their mirror is tinted pink with a lit up border.

When I walk back to the table, I'm relieved to see that everyone is laughing and joking around again. I was beginning to worry that our entire trip would be awkward. The rest of dinner goes really well. Maybe they go a bit overboard trying to crack jokes and make me smile, but I still appreciate the effort.

~Time Skip~

Later that night, we all settle in George's living room to watch a movie. Nick lays across the entire couch, leaving no room for anyone else. I sit on the ground in front of him instead of making him move. Clay sits next to me a moment later leaving George to find a spot. After grabbing the remote and switching off the lights, George sits on the ground on my other side, earning an intense glare from Clay.

Hidden Figures has been playing for almost an hour, but I think Nick is the only one watching. I try to pay attention as much as I can, but it's difficult with Clay and George on either side of me. I can tell George is also trying to watch the movie, but is having a hard time with Clay's glares and glances. Clay is clearly feeling a bit territorial... it just sucks that he's taking it out on George.

When the movie finally finishes, Nick stands up and stretches. "I'm dead tired. Where are we all sleeping?" For a moment, we all glance around awkwardly, realizing this slight hole in our plan. 

"You and Clay can sleep in the guest room, y/n can sleep in my room, and-"

Clay interrupts him. "No way in hell is she sleeping with you," he growls. George patiently rolls his eyes with a deep breathe.

"If you had let me finish, I was going to say that I'll sleep out here on the couch."

"Why can't she sleep in the guest room?" Clay asks, lowering his voice a little as if he isn't sitting beside me speaking to someone directly over me. 

"She can do whatever the hell she wants to, Dream. My bed is more comfortable, that's all. Do what you please. I'm gonna go change." With that, George leaves. Nick follows, mumbling some sort of excuse that we both know is pointless.

"Hey, what's going on Clay? This was supposed to be relaxing and fun. It's his birthday tomorrow," I whisper, turning to face him.

He sighs, covering his face for a brief moment before answering. "God, I'm so sorry. I'll relax. I don't even know why I'm being like this." For a moment, I'm worried he may cry, but he brushes the emotion off his face.

"It's okay. I was just worried about you guys. I didn't want you to fight the first time you met... I'm sorry if I did something."

"What? Oh geez, you didn't do anything. It's just- Ah, it's nothing. I'm really sorry, though. Forgive me?"

"Of course. But maybe you should talk to George? I think that last blow hit a nerve."

"Yeah, you're right."

"Maybe sooner is better than later?" He nods and stands up, giving me his hand after. We go separate ways, him to George's room, me to the guest room. I change into sweatpants but leave the white shirt on. I don't care enough to change. Usually it would feel so strange to go to bed this early, but all the travelling and adrenaline rushes have worn me out. 

George and Clay leave to go on a walk. I'm hoping they'll be able to talk it all out. Of course I know Clay feels threatened by George. I'm not stupid. But we can't let it ruin our trip. Nick is already settled into the guest room, so I move my stuff to George's room.

I suppose I fall asleep before thee two boys get home, because I never hear the front door again. Instead, I fall into a deep sleep, filled with images of Clay, George, and for some reason, an absurd number of fireflies. 

To be continued...