good morning

In the morning, an abrupt noise yanks me out of my slumber and I open my eyes just in time to see Clay stomping out of George's room. At first I think it must have been my imagination or another dream, but then I notice that George is asleep beside me. He must have drifted off last night and not woken up to leave.

As I climb out of bed, George finally begins to wake up. He looks around, confused, for a moment. "Oh geez. I didn't mean to fall asleep last night. Are you okay?" I sigh and look at the open door, wondering where Clay went.

"Not for long," I respond, leaving George to wake up completely.

I check the guest room first, but only Nick is there. "Good morning," he mumbles, sitting up with an enormous yawn.

"Do you know where Clay is?" I ask, glancing around to make sure he isn't hiding. 

"Oh, no good morning to me, huh? Whatever, y/n. I see your priorities. Just need to get to your lover." He giggles and leans back on the bed.

"Nick, I'm serious. George fell asleep in his room with me last night because I woke up with a nightmare and I'm pretty sure Clay is pissed." At this, Nick stands immediately and pushes past me in the doorway. "Where are you going?"

"God, this is a mess. Why did you let George stay with you?!"

"I don't know! I just didn't want to have another nightmare!"

"You could have woken Clay up. He wouldn't have cared."

"I- Nick, the nightmare was about Clay... I didn't think he would really be able to comfort me."

"Then you should have just sucked it up and dealt with the dreams." I had been following Nick around the house, but now I stop short.

"Are you being serious?" I ask in shock.

"Well, I-"

"No. You don't get to say that. I'm a grown adult, not some card in the fucked up game you guys are playing. I don't have to 'suck it up and deal with the dreams' just to spare someone's feelings. George woke up and offered to stay until I fell asleep. It was late and I don't blame him for accidently falling asleep too. He didn't even sleep under the covers. Clearly it was an accident." Nick clenches his fists for a moment, leaning back against the wall.

"Listen, I'm sorry I said that. I didn't mean it. But you know Clay likes you. And you should have known what that would look like to him." I can't help but scoff. This shouldn't be my problem. I did know that Clay at least liked me in the past, but that's been the least of my worries lately. 

"Fuck off, Nick. It's not my responsibility to live my life according to what works out best for him." Nick sighs and starts to respond, but I don't stay to listen. Instead, I walk out of George's house and start running. Where am I going? I don't know yet.

I get a little nervous at the unfamiliarity of everything around me, but I had to get out of the house. I'm thankful that George stayed in his room for so long, but he was bound to try to join the conversation at some point. I still don't know where Clay is, but he must have left the house too. No matter how mad I am at Nick, I still need to talk to Clay. Nothing good will come out of ignoring the problem and avoiding him.

I try to imagine where I would have gone if I were Clay. There are limited options unless he went somewhere new in which case, I'm doomed. My first thought is the diner we all ate at, but it's closed until afternoon.  The only other place I know it the park, so I head that way. It takes me a while to get there, but when I do, I see Clay sitting on a bench by a little pond.

I can't read his expression as he stares at the ground. I have no idea how to start the conversation, so I just sit next to him. He looks up in surprise, but seems embarrassed when he sees it's me. "Are you okay?" I ask. Fantastic job, y/n. Great conversation starter.

"I'm great." His tone reveals just how angry he is.

"Can we please talk about it?"

"Talk about what exactly?" He's right. What are we talking about? George falling asleep next to me or something much bigger?

"Well... would you like to know what happened?"

"Not really." I sigh. Of course he chooses now to be stubborn.

"I'm going to tell you anyway, okay?" I wait for him to answer, but he just nods slightly. "I woke up with a nightmare last night and I went to the bathroom to splash some water on my face."

"You could have woken me up!" His sudden burst of desperate anger makes me jump back a little, but I continue nonetheless.

"The nightmare was about you... Beside, I wasn't gonna wake anyone up. George woke up to the noise and came to check if I was okay." I tell him how I was scared of another nightmare and that George wasn't going to stay. "It was an accident, Clay. Nothing happened and nothing is going to happen. I don't like George like that."

"Really?" Clay's eyes light up with hope in a way that makes me chuckle under my breath a little.

"Really." He sighs and finally meets my eyes.

"I'm sorry. I told you I'd calm down and I did the opposite... I just- UGH."

"What's wrong?" I ask, suddenly concerned.

"Can I just ask you something?" My stomach churns a little in anticipation.

"Of course."

"Y/n, I really like you. And I've been such a wimp lately and I didn't want to tell you because things have been so good... but I just have to know how you're feeling."

I crack a small smile before saying, "That wasn't a question, Clay."

"Oh. My. GOD. DO YOU LIKE ME, IDIOT?!"

"You sound like we're in the second grade..." I've never seen him so nervous yet frustrated at once. "Fine! Fine! Yes, Clay. I like you. I have always liked you. Before we even met, I had a crush on you."

"Bahaha, a crush. Now who's in second grade?"

"I hate you."

"Nooooo, you like me."

"I will HIT you."

"You can't hit me if I run!" In an instant, we're both sprinting across the grass. We run halfway back to George's house before I have to beg him to stop. "I'm surprised you lasted that long." He says with a laugh.

"I've been practicing," I say between gasps for air.

"No way. I'm literally with you 24/7. Unless you run while I sleep."

"Idiot, I still train for swim a little. How do you think I get to your apartment?"

"Oh..." I try to laugh, but it just makes breathing more painful. We both collapse on the pavement, leaning against a tree for support.

"There you are! George and I were about to call the police if you didn't show up soon," Nick yells, running toward us. George follows him at a walk, clearly nervous about facing us. "Are you guys okay?"

"Yeah, we're good," I say. Clay nods as well. "Wanna get a snack? I'm starving."

"I'm down for some ice cream," Clay starts. "George?" This small act of peace seems to take an invisible weight off of George's shoulders.

"Yeah... Me too. Let's go."

To be continued...