prelims

Breathe in...

Breathe out...

Breathe in...

Breathe out...

I repeat these words to myself as I sit in the waiting area. This is it. This is my only chance to make the olympics. If I fail now, my swim career may very well be terminated completely. I know I can try again in four years, but I doubt I'll have the motivation.

The only thing keeping me going right now is Thomas. I can imagine him in the stands, screaming his head off with everyone else. My parents are just watching the livestream of this since I've also been ignoring their calls... Maybe I'll call them later. 

A buzzer notifies me that I'm almost up. My first event is a 50 freestyle, basically the shortest event of today. I need below a 25.00 to qualify, but really a sub-24 is ideal. I continue forcing myself to breathe in a controlled pattern. This is no time to get in my head.

I take my last few minutes to visualize my race. Diving in, butterfly kicks, exploding on the surface. After that I'll do everything I can just to reach the other side. 

Breathe in...

Breathe out...

"Y/n? Are you ready for this? You're up," my coach whispers, bringing me back to the pool. I nod and stand on a pair of shaky legs. "You got this. Remember, sub-24 is the goal, but anything below 25 is perfect."

"Okay. I think I'm ready." He leads me to my spot behind the blocks and checks me in with the timers. He gives me a small face of pity as he walks away. I wish he could stay, but rules are rules. I'm on my own now.

"Hey, you good? You look like you might pass out," a girl says to me. She must be my opponent. 

"Yeah, yeah. Just nerves."

"Is this your first year?" Her smile relaxes me a little.

"Yeah, you?"

"I tried last time, but I didn't make it. Wait, how old are you?"

"Uhh I'm 20 but I'll be 21 in a few months."

"Geez girl. That's so impressive." She's interrupted by the loudspeaker notifying everyone that it's our turn. "Good luck. I hope you do really well."

"Thank you so much. I hope you do too." And with that, we're mounting the blocks. Usually I would have meditated before starting, but I think talking to another swimmer was actually really helpful. 

Breathe in...

Breathe out...

"Take your mark"

Breathe in...

Breathe out...

BEEP

I spring off the block, using every ounce of strength to fly over the water. The length of the pool is over so fast, I barely have time to think. I slam into the wall, taking a large breath in immediately. My lungs burn, my body aches, and my mind is running 100 mph. 

23.74

My jaw drops as I look at the time board. I did it. I got sub-24. I notice one of the camera men waving for me to look his way. I smile at the camera an do a little punch in the air. He gives me a thumbs up and moves to another swimmer.

After that, I'm feeling much more confident. The girl I was talking to, I found out her name is Samantha, also made it. My next event, the 100 breaststroke goes perfectly. I make my goal and more. My last event is the 200 breaststroke, the one I'm most worried for.