Mad Mother

(No one:

Not a single soul:

Not even Ink:

Me: Time to write another short story that'll potentially become a new book.

Sister: Nope, we're going to the store to get bread and milk.

Mom: And you gotta get a shower.

Homework: Don't forget about me.

Mad Father AU. I might make this a book if this part does well, so please let me know what you guys think. Don't consider my feelings. Well, like, don't be rude obviously, but don't withhold feedback and criticism because you don't wanna hurt my feelings.)

Dream shivered a bit as he walked down the hallway.

The basement of the mansion was always a bit chilly, but it got colder during the night hours. The stone hall was very dimly lit, with the faint glow of the wall-mounted candles providing just enough light for him to see where he was going. He came to a stop in front of an old wooden door, the echoes of his footsteps fading away. It was so old that the wood had started to chip and peel, and while it looked easy to break down, that wasn't the case.

He could hear the noises going on in the room behind the door. That was his mother's lab, the place where she was working all day long. She was always cooped up in there and almost never came out, so he hardly ever saw her. He could hear the sounds of her work, which were loud and would frighten anyone else, but he'd grown used to them. He couldn't quite make them out, but they sounded like groans and moans... sounds of pain and fear.

"Mother...." He began, reaching up and knocking on the door. "Mommy, are you in there?"

His knocks echoed off of the walls and back into his ears. They didn't quite sound right against such a large and old door. The noises from inside the room soon hushed down. Then the door opened up, its old iron hinges creaking as the door was swung open, with an ungodly stench blowing out of it, and a tall figure loomed far above him. That tall figure was his mother, Nim. Her glowing white eyes immediately landed on her child, and even though she was wearing the white mask that doctors had, he could tell she was frowning.

"Mommy!" Dream beamed brightly.

"Dream, how many times have I told you not to come down here?" She asked him, her sternness clear in her voice. "You should have been asleep two hours ago."

"I'm sorry, mommy...." He apologized, gripping the bottom of his light blue pajama shirt. "But... um... I'm too scared to sleep on my own...."

"Dream... you mustn't worry about that. You're never alone," she sighed, kneeling down to lift her child's head up. "Your late brother is always watching over you... okay?"

"Yes, mama...." He nodded.

"Now please, listen to what I tell you from now on." She stood back up.

"Yes, mama...." He mumbled.

"Good boy." She smiled under her mask, patting his head gently.

Dream turned away from her, starting to walk back the way he'd come from. But before he could get very far, something clicked in his head. He whirled back to face his mother, who hadn't moved from her spot. Most likely to make sure he wouldn't just wait outside of the lab for her again, like he did that one night. It had been around one in the morning when she finally came out, and he'd gotten grounded for a week.

"Mommy, tomorrow's...." Dream trailed off, hoping she would remember.

"Yes, the anniversary of his death." She nodded, a saddened look coming onto her face. "We'll visit his grave together. We can also stop by Mrs. Green's bakery, if you'd like."