Ten

The next day was as depressing as I thought. Farrah spends a fortune to buy this apartment. She spent her time and money to decorate it and now all of a sudden someone wants to demolish this building just to build a mall. How can someone be so cruel as to snatch shelter from above innocent people's heads? The owner of the building has sold the land to the Rossi's without the contest of the residents. Rossi Co. is of course proving compensation to all of the residents but, Farrah doesn't want it. She wants to stay in the apartment but, it doesn't seem like she can do anything. More than ninety-five percent of residents have agreed to take the compensation and empty the apartments while the remaining few are being forced to leave their homes as they are in minority. They have given the residents six months to empty the building.

"No, you can't do that! You asshole – you son of a bitch! I have given your firm three freaking years! You can't fire me!" Farrah slammed the main entrance door with full force and yelled over the phone. Tears were pouring out of her eyes. I stood up on my feet and rushed towards her – thankfully Liana is at her friend's house. I would never want her to see her mother in such a state. I put my hand over her shoulder and squeezed it gently. She looked at me as she heard the other person talking from the other side. She scowled and twisted her mouth, "Oh you don't say that. Murphy, you are the biggest jerk of all." She spat. "Don't you – hello. Hello? Did you – HELLO?" she yelled and angrily threw her phone on the floor and instantly started sobbing. She fell on her knees and rocked back and forth.

"Farrah, control yourself. You are going to hurt yourself." I said as I went on my knees. I grabbed her tears stained face in my palm, "Please, Farrah doesn't cry. Do you want Liana to see you like this?" I asked her. "She will be here any minute now," I added.

She snuffled, "They fired me, Andrea. They fired me because I opposed them! They even gave all the credit for the work on which I put all of my efforts into someone else." She wept. I couldn't see her like this. It hurt me to see my sister in such a condition.

I embraced her in a tight hug, "It's going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay." I mumbled.

Farrah cried on my shoulder for hours. She was a mess – who wouldn't be in her case? She is going to lose her apartment and now she lost her job. I couldn't do anything other than providing her with verbal support. She cried and complained about her life to me. This was the first time I ever heard her complaining. Her life was truly hard. She has no one here. Liana's father left Farrah when he came to know about her pregnancy. She is raising Liana alone. She worked so hard to be promoted but, now that they fired her. She is completely heartbroken.

"I have so many responsibilities on my head. I feel so alone sometimes." She finally stopped crying. "I don't know how I am going to do it alone, Andy. I don't have a job and I am being kicked out of my apartment. This is all too much for me." She sniffed.

I knitted my brows, "What do you mean by alone? Listen to me carefully, Farrah. You are not alone in this, okay? No matter what happens I will always be here for you." I promised her.

She smiled sadly and embraced me in a hug, "You are the only person I can rely on." She mumbled.

Farrah and my parents' relationship isn't the best. Well, my father is okay but, my mother and Farrah aren't on great terms. My mother is quite traditional. She wasn't really happy when she came to know about Farrah's pregnancy. She believes in children after marriage, therefore she was a little hard on Farrah after she told my parents about her pregnancy. She never really liked Jake, Liana's father, either. It isn't like she banned her or something – she just doesn't forget to taunt Farrah now and then. Farrah only visits us in Canada during Christmas break – that's family time. All my brothers also come and celebrate Christmas at my parent's house.