Chapter 28

-Sarah's POV-

I went back to the room and saw Y/C/N hunched on his homework.

I grabbed my phone. "I'll be right back okay? I just need to call someone." I smiled.

He looked at me and nodded.

After heading out, I rang Brendon's phone. After a few rings he picked up.

[Fuck, I'm sorry I left without saying. Y/N called.]

I could hear the guilt in his voice. He must've realized what he's done.

"What happened?"

[I... I don't know. She said... She needed me...]

His voice got smaller and smaller. I felt my heart break.

One call from her and he came rushing... I'm jealous.

"Ah... Is she okay?"

[I don't know anything yet. I'm just on my way. I'm sorry Sarah...]

I felt hurt. That I said things I didn't think of...

"Why are you going?"

He didn't reply for a while.

[I was worried.]

"Y-You chose me didn't you?" I felt a tear slowly coming. "Y-You're connection with her is only supposed to be about Y/C/N... You didn't have to come for her personal problems..."

He was silent.

"Brendon... I also need you."

[I'm sorry Sarah...]

"I'll watch Y/C/N... Come back safe. Tell me what's wrong when you get there."

Not awaiting a reply I dropped the call.

Just when I thought we were going to be happy and fine. I curled up... Soft sobs coming out from me.

-Brendon's POV-

Fuck

I dug my nails on the steering wheel. Guilt eating me up.

I chose Sarah... I'm supposed to be with her. And I left her with Y/C/N.

Stepping on the gas I went faster. I just need to get this over with.

As soon as I parked I ran to the receptionist.

She must've recognized me as she looked at me in awe. But I had no time for any of that.

"I'm looking for L/N." I panted.

This snapped her from her daze. "L-L/N?" She typed at her computer and after a few minutes, "M/N(Mother Name) L/N. She's in the ICU."

Who? What? Why?

How am I going there?

"Can I please see her?"

"Her daughter is already there. Since she's the only one there you would be allowed if you could prove your relation with the patient."

"I-I. Mother-in..." The nurse rose her eyebrows. I just realized how much trouble it'll be if I lied. "I just need to phone someone real quick."

Stepping away for a minute. I rang Y/N's number.

When she picked up.

"Hey baby, are you okay? I'm at the lobby. I can't go there since I'm not a relative. I'm sorry."

[B... Please come here...]

Fuck it. I dropped the call.

I walked up to the counter.

"Can you contact the daughter? Somehow? I really don't have anything to prove my relationship with the patient. I'm more related to the daughter in this case."

The nurse was skeptical but after a few minutes of stare off she picked up the the phone.

"Yes, Hello, Ms. L/N? There's--- oh, I. Okay then." The nurse cleared her throat. "If you could just sign here you're free to go to the ICU. It's at the hallway to your right."

It was a file of visitation or whatever. After I had signed I only then saw that the relation put was son-in-law.

I would've panicked and all if I had time and was not worried, too bad.

I immediately dashed towards the direction the nurse had told me.

I looked for a familiar H/C passing by. It was stupid of me not asking exactly where.

I couldn't shout for her because I'm not insensitive. So I continued breaking my neck as I turn my head to every direction I could.

Finally I saw her. Her head was buried to the arm of an elderly woman.

I hesitantly approached her. She must've heard me since she lifted her head.

Her hair was everywhere. Makeup was smudged and the bags under her eyes was big. Her eyes were sore and puffy...

The moment she saw me her eyes filled again. She stood up and crashed to my chest.

"Hey, it's okay. Calm down everything will be fine." She didn't speak she just cried on my chest. I rubbed circles on her back. "I'm here for you. Don't worry."

After a few minutes she calmed down. We took a seat.

"Do you want something? Are you okay?" She looked at me sadly and then shook her head no. "What happened?"

"My mom... Two days ago me and my brother got a call from the hospital saying my mother had passed out. We both rushed, the doctors said she was stable and everything was fine." She fiddled her fingers. "Then she threw up in her sleep, her no dropped and we don't know what happened.

I couldn't leave but I had to for Y/C/N, but my brother volunteered to do it. He said I had more background on the medical field so I had to stay and look after mom. After all he had work in the morning.

So I stayed behind. He watched Y/C/N yesterday the doctor said she had liver failure and needed an operation. The kidney also had an issue so they also had to take care of that. Transplant... They found a kidney donor thank gods but no liver. They said the liver is what they need the most.

It's the cause of the kidney failure after all. They were scouring for a match, but my mother wasn't really at the top of the list... Fortunately she's not at the bottom as well since she doesn't drink... But they said they needed it ASAP."

"Have they found one?"

"My brother... He's currently in room 332. It was going to be me but... I wasn't compatible."

She gave a shaky sigh. I pulled her to my shoulder.

"It's going to be okay."

I felt my shoulder dampen.

"I can't loose them both B... I can't loose them. I can't raise Y/C/N without them... I haven't told him yet..."

"It's okay Y/N. I'm here. I'm going to be here for you. Y/C/N is a big boy now, he'll be fine. I can watch him while this happens. Don't worry."

"Mom's an operation tonight... That's why I called."

I kissed the top of her head. "And I'll be here for you. You won't go through this alone."

"I love you..." My heart sped up. I felt like a highschool girl. I could feel my face heat up. "I... Shouldn't have said that." I could hear the panic in her voice. "I'm sorry it was---"

"I love you too." She looked at me surprised. I placed my hand on her cheek. "I love you. And I want you." I kissed her forehead. Tears swelled up in her eyes again. "I'll be here for you, from now on."

~~~