16

Major reediting going on, just for the heads up the chapters are available ahead but they might not make much sense since changes have been made, but I am not a dead author, n I will be updating it quickly so hang on tight n keep giving love. Capisce.

Dated : 27 June 2023

'dil banke ma dil dharkaoun ga'

(I'll be your heart, and I will be the reason your heartbeats)

.

Caught in the crossfire.

"It has gotten a bit rusty," Haya indicated to the hinges where rust had travelled and the wetness had sunken in the wood. It was a rustic cabin in the middle of nowhere. The trees stood up like spikes. Zigzagging the corners, while ready to fall rain water filled clouds, stood overhead.

It was a place which had gotten less important with time, but Haya had spent half her childhood there, with her grandparents before they shifted back to Lahore. They hadn't visited this land for years. It was away from population, for detoxifying and perhaps mending relations.

"Doesn't make it any less beautiful," Ayat said cracking open the  double doors, as they walked in from the grassy front porch. "I can't believe this, it must be the best weekend I have ever spent, also two nights with you Haya, it is going to be very...very healthy,"

"I understand, you haven't been well lately, I thought you could unwind for a little while,"

"Thank you," Ayat wrapped her arms around Haya. 

"No thanks among homies," Haya rubbed her back. Ayat smiled whole heartedly, and she didn't feel like she needed to envelope her feelings. She could be real for once. She moved her backpack full of her essentials into the living room.

 "What have you decided we'd do?"

"Decided..." Haya thought for a while. "Yes. Since there are no internet connections or any other connections for that matter. I thought about watching movies. Old school and scary. It is going to be fun. I have DVD's in the store room, what do you think?"

"I think it's amazing," Ayat excitedly roamed around the place. "It's cold,"

She hastily closed the door and Haya moved to the windows to shut them. They could feel goose bumps rising on their skin like needles. The place was wicking their heat faster than they had thought.

"There is a fireplace as well,"

The furniture stood in all it's glory. Beautiful photo frames hung on the cracked painted walls and an abandoned fireplace in the middle. The place smelled like books and coffee. the smell of her dreams. It was the smell of hope.

Haya wiped the glass of the fireplace with a cloth, and inside there were ashes from previously burnt woods.

"Do we have to bring in woods to burn up?" Ayat jumped in excitement peeking out into a little shed outside under the darkening night.

"Yes. Me and my siblings had so much fun bringing woods to burn up when grand pa asked us to, we could barely pick one log at that time," Haya laughed. 

"Let's go then. I am freezing already," Ayat wrapped her shawl tighter around her body. A shower of rain starting pouring through the sky. It made her feel so heavenly. Haya didn't want to ruin her happiness but she had to, or she'd regret all her life, that she didn't try

"There is this funny myth about this place. This place was encompassed with brothels in late ages. There were kothas. A freshly raped twaif was buried alive underground someplace here. she was very beautiful. A true beauty. They say she was killed unfair. She wanders here now to take revenge on men because the man who raped her blamed the incident on her. Now she wanders this area.  At first she appears as a magnet for men and as soon as she had reeled them in, she becomes a terrifying figure who eats the man who she has enchanted," (Brothels)