28

'The devil sparked my soul'

.

Beyond his reach

The sun blazed deep warmth upon their half exposed bodies. Her eyes opened from the landing, as she woke up, and was taken back by the tender view, of the trees swaying far into distance. A blush found its way on her cheek. It were all crescents and stars last night. He was sound asleep, his hand draped upon a comfortable pillow. His mouth upon, close to drooling, she found great amusement in seeing him so...vulnerable. But by marrying her he had given her the liberty to her to see whichever of his sides that she wished.

She walked to his side, and sat beside him slowly raking his hands in his unruly hair. Soft and silky. Even in sleep, his sharp features etched a haughty persona on himself. She traced along his jawline founding a way back to herself subconsciously drawing her hand back.

"Don't pull away," His words made her hand come back to him. She smiled. He looked serene. Like all the burden of the world had been lifted. 

"I think they knocked 4 times to bring the breakfast in and we have landed, it's bad to keep people waiting,"

He was forced to think, how impactful her personality really was, and she was from day one determined and un preceded dominating. It was hot. She was never intimidated, had he tried all tactics even last night to make her shy and cower but the pleasure was given to him only for mere seconds before she'd become herself again. Composed and in love. All at once.

"They shouldn't disturb us," His words sang in her ears. It felt like a drifting reality. A dream. It felt like eons ago. He sparked her memory by pulling her in again, and found her lips all at once, as she melted in him. She kissed him back equally passionate. Never the one to cower away. Two knocks bristled the air as they parted hastily. He removed the bedcover gliding to the sliding door to the room which by no means was sound proof, which indicated the flustered cheek of the servant who had come to greet and bring breakfast for what Ayat estimated was the 5th time in a row. She didn't answer because she didn't want to disturb his slumber, maybe it was the fact that he looked peaceful that made her want to stop time and let him be. But he slept each day and in peace with or without her assistance.

After showering and changing they had breakfast and then escorted outwards, behind them a rally of guards. It felt like they were being followed by a entourage. No one told her marrying someone of the crime field was like marrying a prince. Her hand hung beside her, but as they departed the jet, he clutched her hands, as if leaving them would carry her away from him.

"Can we go see her?" Her words were shrunken when his clutch tightened around her palm. She looked at him expectant for an answer. She needed to see Maaz's mother. Her aunt.

"Yes,"

"What are you not telling me?"

He looked away. She thought his eyes had glistened but that could be the sun playing tricks on her.

"Maaz..."

"She lost a leg," 

"What do you mean?"

"They cut off her leg when the police was rescuing her. She was Khawar's hostage. That motherfucker. They threatened to hurt her when the police raided, but the police let it happen. They let my mother bleed...she could have died. You do know what this means right. She can't walk for life now...and all because of me. Because I cowered away. Because I am stupid,"

"You did it because of me, because you promised that there will be no mob war. You did it for the right reasons. You stopped a big damage. You prevented evil happenings. This isn't your fault,"

"I don't agree. Not today Ayat. This is my fault. She is in hospital because of me. I should have been there for her. For a mother who has been in agony for so long without my knowled..."

"Exactly. Without your knowledge. Only if you had known. You wouldn't have ever let that happen. It's okay to feel pain. Maaz. Why are you so harsh on yourself?"

"What would have become of me if you weren't in my life?" 

"I don't know, but I know one thing. You were a survivor. You are and so will be your mother. You got all your courage from here, and that's why I love you. Because you are you Maaz..."

"I'll kiss you for that when we're not with company," Maaz chuckled knowing this will tick her off. She punched his shoulder.

"You need to be put in line..." She winked not buying his tease. He put an arm around her neck and kissed her cheek.

"I don't see a reason why not,"

Her cheeks shaded crimson, but she liked to think, sun was the criminal for this as well. Many things were related to sun today. Maybe even the dazzle she had when she thought of him. A phone ringed. It broke their trance. Maaz picked up the phone. The fine lines on his forehead didn't go unnoticed. He looked older than he was when he was...stressed. He hung off before she could fully formulate his face.

"Who was it?" She asked.

"Hammad, my consigliere, wants an urgent meeting,"

Ayat gave a faint smile. "Since he is your consigliere, you need to listen to him. I think. And I still don't get this fancy terminology you have,"

"You will soon. Let's get in the car and see what he has to stay," 

The couple was  headed to the hospital and Ayat was bored as they were previously discussing paperwork. Out of all things. Paperwork. She hated it. She liked practical. Actions.

"Boss now for the real reason of the...sudden meeting," 

"The sudden intrusion you mean?"

"I...I did not mean to interrupt your honeymoon. Boss. But I think matters at hand are risky for me to cause such an event," Hammad seemed off. Usually he was put together. The wrinkles in his eyes seemed to have grown more potent than any other of his features.

"What do you mean?" He clutched the tablet harder. She was listening so curiously, so attentively that her vertebral column was starting to pain from the intuition of danger.

"I mean, Boss. The police visited in the morning,"

"They will get their funds, tell Officer Martin to call me if he needs a raise, and for what it's cost. It wasn't important," Frustration was clear in his voice. Maaz despised intrusions in his private life. He knew the perfect balance, in his legal, illegal, and personal lives.

"Boss. They weren't here for the funds, they were here to investigate multiple homicides. They have curated fine evidence from your establishment in East Hollywood. I am afraid they know about your criminals there,"

He leaned back like he didn't' feel a thing, no sweat formed on his forehead, no adrenaline, no fear. Nothing. Void. Him.

"I am coming to take care of the mess you have all made," He spoke and it gave the women he loved chills in her bones. His face held promise, firmness but from the fluctuating of the brown in his eyes she could tell some things were even beyond his reach.