LIII

[War of the Worlds]

A montage of images flashed while Lucifer narrated from his cage in the Apocalypse World: The Andromeda Galaxy, the Orion Nebula, The Horsehead Nebula, mountain peaks, The Grand Canyon, "The Devil's Throat" at Iguazu Falls, the sky with a golden glow at the horizon, yellow flowers blooming in melting snow, a rainbow.

Lucifer spoke. "I got plenty of gripes with the old man. His self-righteous narcissism, his "my way or the highway" quirk. I gotta hand it to him. He had a couple of great seconds when he banged out the universe. Guy had creative chops. And optimism. I'll give him that. And despite his pissiness and his massive lack of irony, he did give mankind a good turn at bat and a chance to live in paradise."

Lucifer was trapped in a person-sized cage, Michael's hand on his head.

Lucifer continued. "He ruled. He smote. He parted waters. Worshiped by creatures who made God in man's image. And then, he got disappointed. Or worse, bored. Picked up all his toys and... left." Michael removed his hand and Lucifer seemed confused. "What was that?"

"Hitched a ride on your temporal lobe," Michael replied. "Saw your world. That paradise you left behind? Believe I'll take up residence, lend my guiding hand."

"Ah, of course. 'Cause you've done such wonders with this place."

"While I was in your head, I saw what you're afraid of–being locked up again, like you were in the Cage. So after I'm done, you'll be left here, alone, in agony, forever."

"Okay, bro, could you do me a favor?"

"Hmm?"

"Eat me."

"Hmm." Michael grabbed the bars of Lucifer's hanging cage; it was lined with spikes, and he jerked the cage, impaling Lucifer on the spikes. Michael watched, then left the room.

"Aah!"

Lucifer screamed.

The screaming continued.

BUNKER - LIBRARY

Dean entered, bringing coffee and tea to Sam, the former of whom was working on his laptop. Kennedy was reading to Nadia.

"Anything?" Dean asked, handing the coffee to Sam and the tea to Kennedy.

"Oh," Sam said. "Thanks. Not yet. I put out an APB to every single Hunter we know. But... Jack's off the grid."

"Kid was pretty spun out. We'll find him. I mean, there's gotta be a sign at some point, right?"

"Yeah."

"Kid can cause a tsunami with a hiccup."

"I don't know. Maybe he's covering his tracks."

Nadia moved, spilling the tea all over Kennedy who yelped and abruptly stood, setting her daughter down.

"Sowy, Mama," Nadia said.

Kennedy shook her hands and walked away.

Nadia sniffled as she looked up at her father. "Mama mad?"