XIX

[The Chitters]

OUTSIDE GUNNISON, COLORADO - 1989

Two boys were trekking down the path while having a conversation, an older brother looked no more than sixteen, whereas his little brother was around twelve. They both carried a cooler box and fishing rod.

"It finally happened," Jesse said.

"What?" Matt asked. "You didn't get detention this week?"

"Me and Jackie, we kissed."

"Okay, can I stop hearing about him every two minutes now? "You think he likes me?", "Jackie looked at me. I-I think he looked at me.""

"He definitely likes me."

"Jesse, you know you gotta be careful, right?"

"I'm not an idiot."

The boys were crossing a wooden bridge to get past the creek.

"Yeah, I know, but it's not just Ned and Charlie and those dicks who'll stomp your head in. I mean, everybody at school and in town... they won't leave you alone."

"Okay. I wish we were gone already. Can't you lie and say you're 18 and get a fake ID?"

"California's expensive, okay? We just gotta save some more money."

"You can sell your collection."

"I will, okay? When it's time. I can get at least $900 for the Buffalo nickel and another $400 for the double eagle."

"That's a lot."

"Look, Jess." He stopped Jesse's steps and started talking seriously. "As soon as I turn 18, I promise, we're gonna get out of here, okay?"

Jesse looked concerned at first about Matt's plan, but came around. "Can I see it?"

"Yeah."

Matt bent down to put the cooler box and handed the fishing rod in his hand Jesse, then he took a small wallet from his pocket and showed what was inside to Jesse, a small nickel. Jesse looked at it adoringly.

"Come on," Matt said. "Here." He stretched his hand to get the nickel back and got it from his brother, then put it back into the wallet. "Gotta go get that early morning bit, right?"

"Hang on. I gotta pee."

Jesse put the fishing rod in his hand on the ground, and walked to a tree and started unzipping his pants. Just before he did so, there was a mysterious sound coming from the bushes that got his attention.

Jesse, suddenly aware, called, "Matty? Matty?"

EXT. BUSHES

"Jesse!" Matt yelled from a distance. "Aah!"

Jesse screamed, "Matty! Matty!"

Jesse ran to the spot where he and Matt were. Matt disappeared. The cooler boxes and fishing rods were on the ground, abandoned.

"Jesse! Aah!"

Jesse saw Matt being dragged by something. Matt was trying to let go as he cried, "Jesse! Aah! Jesse! Jesse! Aah!"

A mysterious creature was taking Matt away. Jesse started to panic. "Matty!" He chased the creature. "Matty! Matty! Matty!"

Jesse stopped in an open space. Mysterious sounds came from behind him. He slowly turned around in fear.

EXT. BUNKER

The Impala parked just outside the entrance.

INT. BUNKER - WAR ROOM