XLI

[The Memory Remains]

At the bunker, Dean was still trying to reach Castiel on the phone and left him yet another message. "Come on. Cas, it's me. I've been trying to get ahold of you for days. We don't know what's going on, but we got a line on Dagon... And we got our asses handed to us, even with the Colt. So... Could really use the backup. Call me back."

"So no luck with Cas, huh?" Kennedy asked.

"Yeah, still AWOL."

"All right, so let's find him," Sam decided.

"I've been trying, Sam. The GPS on his phone's turned off, and there's nothing in the system about some weird guy in a trench coat getting arrested or turning up dead."

"Right. Dean, it's Cas. I mean, this isn't the first time he's dropped off the map, you know? And whatever's happening, he'll be fine. He always is."

"Yeah." Dean was unconvinced and continued cleaning his guns. "What about you? You two got anything there, Reading Rainbows?"

"Kennedy and I stayed up all night, going through every book we have on demons, and it turns out we have a lot of books on demons."

"Anything on Dagon?"

"Mentions here and there, but nothing we can use. I guess the, uh, Princes of Hell are pretty good at staying off the radar," Kennedy replied.

"Well, yeah, isn't that kind of their thing?"

"Hmm. Just got an e-mail from Mick. It's a case," Sam informed.

"Good."

"Looks like a guy named Jarrod Hayes disappeared in Tomahawk, Wisconsin, a week ago. No witnesses. No body. But Mick says this place has a history."

"Meaning?"

Kennedy leaned over to look at the screen. "Well, it means a lot of people go missing in Tomahawk, one a year, every year, from 1898 to 1997, and then nothing until now."

"So 20 years?"

"Yeah," Sam confirmed. "So maybe they're starting up again? Maybe it's a cycle of some sort?"

"Well... One way to find out." Dean pointed the gun. "Pew."

"Pew! Pew!" Nadia repeated. "Funny, Daddy."

Ketch, who'd received Sam's message, announced to a group of associates. "It's time."

TOMAHAWK

Sam, Kennedy, Nadia and Dean visited Sheriff Barrett Bishop, Jr.'s office. He was preoccupied with sewing a taxidermy animal, and seemed disinterested in Jarrod's disappearance. Nadia looked around at all the animals, incredibly curious.

"I'm sorry, but why the feds interested in Jarrod Hayes?" the sheriff questioned.

"Just followin' orders," Dean replied.

"Yeah, um... So what can you tell us about the case?" Sam asked.

"Well... Nothing much to tell. Jarrod and his friends were hanging out at Weathertop. This make-out spot the kids use out at the woods. And then he ditched his pals to hoof it home. Never made it," the sheriff informed.

Kennedy frowned. "So somebody snagged him?"

"Mm. Maybe."

"Maybe?" Sam repeated.

"Look, maybe Jarrod did get got. We're working every lead. But you ask me, he just bailed."

"And why would he do that?" Dean wondered.