Chapter Twenty-Six

Bella

Edward walked back in the office after handing over the keys for the Mercedes back to its owner. I turn around in my chair with the accounting papers at hand and say, "You know, it's going so good that at this rate pretty soon we can start hiring someone else to help out."

"Or-" he took a rag and started wiping the oil from his fingers "-I can start paying you."

I roll my eyes. "Nonsense. If you want to pay for the company, I could just hire you an escort."

Edward smiles and leans down to give me a peck on the lips. "I don't think that would work. There's no one I want more to keep me company than you."

"I like that sound of that." I rub my nose with his and pull away. "Ready for lunch?"

"Yes." He takes my hand and pulls me up from the chair. "I'm thinking Chinese?"

"Yes, love that."

"Then let me change out of the overalls."

He walks back to the bathroom and shuts the door. We only have two other cars and one of them is due for tomorrow, so we have time to go and have lunch somewhere else. As I settle everything at my desk, I say, "There's something I've been meaning to tell you."

"Oh, yeah? What is it?" He asked through the door.

"Rita helped me find the number of a good divorce lawyer. I'm thinking about calling him tomorrow and setting up an appointment."

"Really?" He walked out of the bathroom in his clean jeans and black shirt. "Have you told Emmett?"

I shake my head slightly. "Not yet. I want to meet up with the lawyer first and see what my options are. I'm not going to ask for a lot, I'm even considering letting him have shared custody of the boys."

Edward frowns. "Do you think that's a good idea? He is a suspect in a murder, love."

"He is that, but he is also the boys' father. They have no idea about the case so keeping them away from Emmett will only confuse them. Besides, before all this, I've always know Emmett to be a good father."

"Yes, up to the point where he tried to abandon you."

"Edward," I chastise him.

He raises his hands in the air. "I know, I know. I'm no one to judge... but he did screw my wife, so I can judge a little bit."

I chuckle. "Let's go. I'm hungry and Mr. Banner will be back for his car at four."

Edward rolls his eyes. "When isn't there something wrong with that man's car?"

He locks up the shop on our way out, but before we even start heading to his car, he wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me in for a kiss.

"What was that for?" I ask, wrapping my arms around his neck.

Edward shrugs. "I just like kissing you."

We turn to his car, hand in hand, but we are both frozen in our spot when we see Emmett leaning up against Edward's car, his legs crossed one over the other and his arms over his chest. My heart stops.

What is he doing here?

I look at Edward as his expression turns dark and his body tensed beside mine. The grip he has on my hands hardens. Emmett looks up and smiled shyly.

"I thought I'd find you here," he said.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, coldly. "I thought you were supposed to be at the precinct."