Chapter Thirty-Three

⚠️Warning! Scenes of violence ahead! Read at your own risk!⚠️

Now I know we said things, did things that we didn't mean
And we fall back in to the same patterns, same routines
But your temper's just as bad as mine,
You're the same as me when it comes to love
You're just as blinded

Baby, please come back,
It wasn't you, Baby, it was me,
Maybe our relationship isn't as crazy as it seems
Maybe that's what happens when a tornado meets a volcano
All I know is I love you too much to walk away now

Come inside, pick up your bags off the side walk,
Don't you hear sincerity in my voice when I talk?

Told you this is my fault, look me in the eyeball,
Next time I'm pissed I'll aim my fist at the dry wall

Next time there will be no next time,
I apologize even though I know it's lies
I'm tired of the games, I just want her back
I know I'm a liar

If she ever tries to fucking leave again,
Imma tie her to the bed and set this house on fire...

Bella

Edward hasn't moved in the last ten minutes. He stands silently by the window with his hands in his pockets, looking out at the view of his street. As soon as I knew Emmett was out of earshot after our conversation, I called Edward to tell him I was on my way. I needed to tell him Emmett was planning on suing him for custody. Edward needed to be prepared to fight back, but as soon as told him, he stood from his couch and walked out the window without saying a single word.

"Edward, you're freaking me out. Say something," I say, slowly walking up to him.

Edward sighs. "I'm not surprised. I think deep inside I knew he would try to pull this off after he told you about the threat I made. In fact, I'm shocked he hasn't done it sooner."

"So, what's the plan? What are you going to do?"

I have half a mind to tell him to take Lucy and run as far away from Seattle as he can. But this is Edward we are talking about, he would never let his daughter go without a fight. It didn't matter she didn't have his blood, she was his and Edward was going to protect her till his last dying breath. It's the kind of father he is.

He turns to me and pulls my hair behind my ear. "Nothing. Not as long as I don't have a court order in hand, and even if I did, what are the chances of Emmett winning? The man is a prime suspect in a murder case and that isn't going to sit well with a jury."

"I don't know, Edward." I cross my arms over my chest tightly. "Emmett can be very cunning. He can find a way and he'll try his best to win. He isn't one to quit."

"Neither am I," Edward says with a grin. "He can try, but I am not going down without a fight, Bella. I'm not afraid of him."

My phone buzzes in my back pocket and I reach back to double click the power button to reject the call.

"Well, I am," I admit, quietly. I cup his face in my hands and give him a light kiss on the lips. "I don't want him to hurt you."

Since I left the house earlier today, I haven't been able to stop thinking about what Emmett said. He made sure to emphasize the lengths he has gone to make sure I was okay, and after everything that has happened and his behavior, I am starting to believe he is the one who pulled the trigger on Rosalie. And if he has gone as far as to kill her, even when he claimed to loved her to a certain level, what does that mean for me and the boys? For Edward and Lucy? Are our lives also on the line as long as he is free?