Just Wait For Me

The next morning I woke up at 5:30 AM. I needed to get to the airport by 7 because my flight was at 8 and Helen didn't want to give me any chance to miss the flight. I showered, got dressed, put on my shoes and grabbed my suitcase. My parents were already waiting downstairs with my two very sleepy step-brothers.

"Are you leaving now Annie?" Matthew asked, rubbing his eyes. I didn't realize how much I was going to miss them until that moment, having to say goodbye. "Yes I am. You two are going to be good while I'm gone right?".

I kneeled on the ground to hug them. "Are you going to come back?" They both asked in unison.

"Of course I will! For every holiday we celebrate. Promise." They nodded and yawned. "Ok go back to sleep you two." They ran upstairs and went back to their shared room.

My dad stood there and maybe it was just my tired eyes, but he looked proud. I walked up to him with my suitcase. "Hi dad." I said quietly. 

He didn't reply but instead he hugged me. I hadn't gotten a hug from him in a very long time. It felt nice. So I hugged him tightly. When we pulled away his eyes were teary. "I don't even know what to say. I thought I had another year to prepare the goodbye speech" He said, with a sad laugh.

"It's okay dad, don't worry about me. I'll be fine I promise.". That last part didn't sound convincing even to me. But he didn't seem to notice. "I love you Annabeth. I'm sorry if you ever thought the opposite"

I didn't know how to respond so I nodded and said my goodbyes to Helen. I thanked her for doing this for me and hugged her. The taxi had arrived and I walked out of my house and got inside.

"Where to miss?" In a split second I knew what I was going to do. Hopefully I still made the flight. "Can you drive to the other side of the block please? I'll tell you where to go there" I said, waving goodbye to my parents.

The driver did as I asked and before I lost my courage I gave him the where to go. I gave him Percy's address. I just hoped someone was awake. 

We got there in about 20 minutes. "If you stay here I'll pay you double to take me somewhere else." I told the taxi driver. "Deal kid". 

I bolted to Percy's apartment and the second I got there I knocked on the door and ran the little doorbell three times. Sally opened the door and when she saw me, she was well in shock. "Is Percy here?! I need to talk to him" I said, a bit loudly and out of breath. 

"Oh my gods. He just left 10 minutes ago to see you at the airport." I finally realized what she said and I was stressed. "WHAT?!" I yelled. I put my hands over my mouth and whispered an apology to Sally for yelling. She said it was fine and explained everything to me.

Percy regretted us breaking up and left his house as fast as he could to stop me at the airport. He was a bit loud while getting ready so Sally woke up and he told her what was happening. She let him go because she understood what it was like to be in love. 

He had just left and then I came. I thanked her and ran back down to the taxi and told him to take me to the airport. It was about 6:15 which meant we were making good time.

I got to the airport at about 7:10 which meant my flight left in 40 minutes. I paid the driver and found Paul's prius so I figured he was still there. 

I got my seat and went around the airport looking for Percy. I found him 20 minutes later when I went back to my gate after losing hope. He looked great. Tired and out of breath, but great.

"Percy!" I yelled walking towards him. He looked at me with a huge smile and ran towards me. "Look I'm sorry about yesterday I just sort of panicked and I'm sorry. I could barely last an hour without wanting to run to you and apologize. But I thought today would be more romantic and now I don't know what I'm doing.". 

He said all of that so fast I could barely keep up. "Percy it's okay I'm sorry too. I literally just came here from your house because I wanted to talk to you." He looked very surprised at this. He opened his mouth to say something, but I hugged him and he suddenly forgot what he was going to say.

"Please don't go Annabeth. Nothing would mean anything if you're not with me. So stay. Please" He pleaded with his beautiful eyes and I almost agreed. But I couldn't do that to my parents. "Percy I can't.". 

"I know. I just-" I cut him off with a kiss. It was a short one, but it said what a million words couldn't. "Wait for me" We both said in unison. He nodded and kissed me again. My flight was being called to board the plane so I pulled away. I looked behind him and saw all of our friends there. Waiting awkwardly. I ran towards them and gave them hugs quickly.

We all said our goodbyes and Percy gave me an envelope with a little box and his favorite hoodie. "Open the box in the plane. And just know I have one too.". I nodded and kissed him goodbye. "Five years. I can wait that long".And with that I boarded the plane. In the plane I opened the envelope first.

In it there were three pictures of me and Percy. I had left six which meant he also kept three of them. There was also a little note that read, 

       "Don't forget me Wise Girl. Also look in the box. I have a matching one, but yours has one extra thing. I love you. 
From Percy"

I smiled the entire time I read that letter and then I opened the box. I found a leather necklace with little beads on them. The beads had different designs. They were from this book series me and Percy used to read together in the library. From the first year we met. I had forgotten about those books. 

I smiled and looked at the little charm in a tiny plastic bag. It was a coral pendant and it reminded me of every time we went to the beach. I put it on the necklace and tied it around my neck. I put on the hoodie and it smelled like his familiar beach scent. I stared out the window.

Five years. I thought.