That Was Unexpected

"Um I like your tie sir." Percy said nervously. Yeah my dad wasn't wearing a tie. My father's eyes narrowed at Percy and Percy put his hand down since he didn't accept the handshake.

          Percy cleared his throat and pulled his hoodie down slightly. He had a nervous expression and started sweating a little bit. My father stayed quiet and, although he was shorter, seemed to tower over a nervous Percy. He was so nervous, it was cute. My father opened his mouth to say something when someone barged in loudly.

          "I SHIP ITTT!" Rachel yelled loudly into the room. She was wearing paint splattered jeans and an oversized V-neck sweatshirt. Still she looked great (as always). She was smiling but when she saw what was happening, her smile faltered into an embarrassed one. She took a tiny step into the room and laughed nervously. 

          "Hehe I uh… I thought I would walk into a cute moment…" Her voice got quieter with every word, "Yeah I'm just gonna um" She stretched towards my bed and then carefully (more like nervously) placed a bag on it.  I stifled a laugh. I glanced at my brothers and Bobby's face was red and Matthew's mouth was open. 

          "There you go Annie. It's some clothes, a charger, some hair ties, better sneakers, and headphones" She said while nervously looking at my family. My mouth practically dropped at her generosity. I motioned for her to come closer and gave her a one arm hug. With my good arm of course. 

          "Thank you so much Rach. It means a lot to me. You're the best" I said with a big smile. She returned my smile and then shuffled out of the door nervously. She mouthed "I ship" with a wink as she closed the door. I laughed at that, but I hope my face wasn't as red as I thought it was. 

          My dad turned his attention back to Percy. Percy gulped again. He stuck his hand out once more as if in a trance. This time my father shook his hand. My father chuckled and pulled Percy into a hug. He laughed nervously and awkwardly hugged back. 

          "Hello! I'm Frederick Chase and this is my wife Helen. Those are the boys Matthew and Bobby" My father said with a smile. Percy waved at Helen and the twins. Wide grins appeared on their faces as they ran towards Percy. They started bombarding him with questions.

          "Do you play sports?" "Yeah I'm on a swim team"

          "Do you like superheroes?" "Of course I do man!"

          "Would you play with me?" "You bet little guy! I love playing!" My heart basically melted in my chest when I saw how good Percy was with kids. Seeing my brothers like Percy and him being so kind with them put a wide grin on my face.

          "Are you Annie's boyfriend?!" "Luckily I am. She's great" (He winked at me with that response).

          "Are you getting married?!?!" Percy turned as red as a tomato and started stuttering. I knew for a fact my face was just as red as his. If not, more. "Um well- I want to- We don't know-" Percy stuttered nervously. My father laughed and told the boys to watch something on his phone.

          "Sorry about that kid. The boys are a bit… nosy." My father said. "It's not a problem sir. I like them, they're cool" Percy replied. 

          They then started talking about how Percy was doing in school (pretty good considering his dyslexia and ADHD, but because of Beckendorf), the swim team (Percy talked about his best moments, with Beckendorf), and how he knew me (we both explained this but didn't mention the time we didn't talk). I felt bad because he obviously missed his best friend. His eyes started tearing up and my father decided to change the subject with good news.

          "Well I think it's safe to say that we all approve of your relationship with Annabeth. It was great meeting you kid" My father said, shaking Percy's hand. Soon enough my father loved Percy. And after that, my entire family did.

          "I told you, you had nothing to worry about Seaweed Brain" I teased. "Well I was nervous, Wise Girl!" He said as he held my hand. 

          "Sorry to interrupt this moment, but could I have some time with Annabeth? In private?" Helen asked. My family knew our relationship had improved so they didn't question anything. Percy looked at me with a concerned look since he didn't. I nodded and he left with everyone.

          "Is everything alright Helen?" I asked with an obvious worried tone. 

          "I don't like him Annabeth." She responded dryly.