I Think I Have A New Best Friend (Sorry Thalia)

“Annabeth you can trust me. You know that. Please tell me what’s wrong.” Percy said. I didn’t want to say anything. I didn’t want to look pathetic. I pulled away from the hug just enough for me to be able to look at him without leaving his arms. I decided I should tell him. He was right. I can trust him and I very much do. 

          “Luke happened. He’s a liar and a manipulator and I can't stand him” I said. Anger flashed in his eyes. His jaw clenched and he looked furious. I’ve never seen that side of him before. It was a more protective side. I understood that side. He would do anything to protect who he cared about. He wouldn’t let anything bad happen to them. He looked at me and the anger slightly subsided. 

          “What did that low life do?” he asked. I put my head on his shoulder again, not wanting him to see me breakdown again. 

          “He cheated on his girlfriend. Thalia found out and wanted to tell her. Luke tried to make her stay quiet to protect his stupid reputation. He said if she stayed quiet they could be together. He said he loved her but he lied. Then Thalia slapped him and punched him while she yelled at him. She ran away and before I ran away too, he tried to make me listen to him. But I didn't want to. I knew he would try to manipulate me like Thalia so I ran. And now we’re here” I explained with tears running down my face. 

          He didn’t say anything for a while. Instead he tightened the hug and pulled me closer to him. One hand was on my back sending shivers down my spine and the other was placed gently on my hair. His head was on my shoulder and I could feel him breathing. We stayed like that for what felt like hours. Not that I'm complaining. I enjoyed his company and comfort. Then he finally spoke. 

          “Luke is an idiot. He doesn’t deserve friends like you.” he said gently. I nodded. He pulled away from the hug and lifted my chin with his finger. “How about we get your mind off of this?” he asked. I guess my confusion was obvious because he laughed and said “Come on. We still have classes, but I’ll walk you to all of them. Then after school we’ll do something fun to distract you” he said. 

          I was shocked. I couldn’t believe that someone was willing to do all of this for me. And especially after only a few days of knowing each other. I found it very sweet. I dried my tears and smiled. 

          “I like that idea. Let’s do this” I said. He grinned so wide I thought his face might break. He stood up and offered me his hand. I took it gladly and he gripped it tightly. We got our stuff without letting go and headed out of the library. Soon enough we realized we were still holding hands and let go, both of our faces red. 

          As he promised, Percy walked me to every class and picked me up at the end of each one. At the end of the day we walked over to my locker. Percy barely used his locker so there was no need to go to his. Much to my disappointment Thalia wasn’t there. Grover was there though, so that cheered me up a little. 

          “Hey Grover. Did Thalia go home?” I asked. He looked a little surprised when i said that. “Uh no she just… well she- yeah she went home, but with Silena. She told you about what happened right?” he asked. “No, I actually found them arguing but they didn’t see me. I heard everything though. So I ran, got my stuff and Percy followed me to see what was wrong. And well, now he knows.” I explained. 

          “Yeah she told me. Can we all agree Luke is an idiot and doesn't deserve any of you guys?” Percy asked. Me and Grover nodded in agreement. 

          “I would stay longer but I have to meet Juniper right now. Sorry guys, I’ll see you tomorrow though!” Grover said before he ran off. “Well now it’s just me and you” Percy said, “Come on. I’m taking you to your house so you can pick up some of your things and then we’re going to mine” he said. I raised an eyebrow in suspicion. 

          “Oh come on Annabeth. You’ll have fun, I promise.” Percy said. We started walking and I was leading the way to my house. We talked and laughed and just had a good time until we got there. Percy said he would wait for me outside so I went to get my stuff. In an attempt to avoid my parents I ran upstairs and pulled out a small backpack. I changed into black leggings and a light blue t-shirt. I got the backpack and started putting stuff inside. I packed a white hoodie, two books on architecture, my charger, headphones, and two hair ties. I walked downstairs but failed to avoid my parents. 

          “Where are you going Annabeth?” someone asked. I was relieved. It was my father, not my step-monster. “I’m hanging out with my friend. I had a rough day” I said. My dad’s eyes showed some concern which very much surprised me. “Do you want to talk about it Annie?” he asked. I shook my head, he hasn’t called me Annie in years. It was unfamiliar when he said it. 

          “Ok well go then. Hopefully you feel better when you get home. And if you’re going to stay there overnight, come early in the morning to switch clothes and call. Bye Annie” he said. And with that he walked away. I was very shocked. He never showed he cared this much. Not even when I was younger. And he let me go so easily. I hoped things would get better because I would like to have a loving family for once. 

          I walked out the door and found Percy still waiting for me. I smiled, happy that it was him waiting for me. ‘Woah Annabeth. Where did that come from?’ i thought. I ignored my thoughts and walked up to him. 

          “Wow for a girl who ran surprisingly fast to the library, you’re pretty slow” he said. I laughed and told him to lead the way to his house. He grabbed my hand and started running. I laughed and held on tightly. We got to his apartment building and took the elevator to his floor. We were walking to his door when I realized I was still holding his hand. I felt my face heat up so I let go. He must’ve realized what I did because his face also turned red. 

          When we got to his apartment, he opened the door and i was immediately greeted with the sweet smell of baked goods. I was immediately hungry. I looked at Percy and his eyes were lit up.

          “Oh gods Annabeth, you’re in luck. My mom is making her famous blue cookies!” he said excitedly. “What do you mean blue cookies?” I asked. “You’ll see.” he said grinning. And with that we walked inside.