Chapter 43

"Can we leave?" Namjoon asked like we always have to do when we are all finished. The eight of us were already standing up from our seats, ready to leave but this time we didn't get the answer we expected to.

"Actually, I would like to have a word with Y/N." The king said and everone froze. I gulped and looked at the seven princes, not knowing what to answer. Namjoon noticed my anxious expression and immediately spoke.

"I don't think that's a good idea." He said but the king shook his head.

"It won't take too long. You can have her all day after."

"Perhaps another time." Namjoon, who hadn't given up, said. However, the king hadn't given up either, so he continued.

"You do not have a choice. I just want to have a short conversation with her."

The seven princes looked at me and I reluctantly nodded, showing them that I was alright. I knew they would be standing right outside, ready to rush in if they would suspect anything so I didn't have to be worried, I knew that. Yet, I was scared as hell.

"Fine." Namjoon mumbled and they left with their eyes fixed on me the whole time before the door shut.

"You too." The king said and looked at his wife. She raised her eyebrows in surprise and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Excuse me? Why am I not allowed to be involved in your conversation?" She hissed.

"It's nothing you don't know about already. Can't people just let me have a conversation with the princess?" The king raised his voice and the queen gritted her teeth while looking away. She still did what he said though and we heard for the sound of her heels meeting the floor fading away as she left the dining hall.

"Come and sit closer, I can't hear you over there." He said and I slowly got up from my chair while moving to the seat next to him. I still had to keep my head tilted upwards since he was sitting in his high throne. His large hands were resting on the thick hand rests and he was sitting straight, making him look powerful. Therefore, I did the same.

"So Y/N, are you prepared for the speech? It is only three days left."

His neutral question made me frown in confusion. Did he hide something? Had I missed something? Why would he want to speak to me?

"Yes, I just need to practice a little more." I mumbled while playing with my skirt nervously. I was nervous because I was lying to the king - I wasn't going to say what they think I will. And lying to the king isn't the smartest thing to do but telling the truth in this situation would only make it worse.

"Namjoon have taught you well I hope, otherwise you won't be able to perform the speech." He spoke while leaning forward to grab his glass of water that was nothing but water, but in his hands, it looked like the most expensive and exclusive liquid in the whole world.

"Yes. I can read and write much better now." I spoke, trying to control myself.

"How do you think things are going in here?"

What the fuck. He knew what I thought about how things are going and I knew what he thought about it, so why would he even ask?

"Well... it could have been going better." I answered. I couldn't start a fight now and begin to argue because I had learned that it doesn't lead anywhere except from pain and since the speech is coming up, I couldn't afford getting beaten up again.

"I see you have been behaving a bit better after the incident with Jimin."

Ah, there he said it.