Chapter 10

Whispers and murmurs spread across the large audience as they saw our beautiful faces and dresses take their place on the big stage. My hands began to sweat when I saw that we were on the TV screen because that meant in just that moment, the whole nation were watching us.

I stood at the far left in the row of girls and Choi stood at the far right, which made me feel more unsafe than I already was. The fat man introduced us all so that the country would know which girls were left by saying name and age.

The royal family was behind us, but in the screen I could see how they all rose up at the same moment and positioned themselves on the space in front of the thrones so that they stood higher up and were visible even if we were in front of them. 

"Everyone, prepare yourself for the big announcement! My princes, you have precisely two minutes to present who you will choose before the time is one hour past midnight!" The fat man said and left the stage, keeping the microphone and giving another one to Jin.

"Good evening! We will not let you wait, but before we'll shortly explain why we chose as we have done." Jin began and he didn't look nervous at all even though he was speaking to the whole nation live. "In our magical land of dreams, we thought we would need someone strong, caring and of course beautiful. We thought we would need someone intelligent, honest and sincere and that's exactly what we have found."

Jin then gave the microphone to Namjoon and let him continue.

"It has been a pleasure to be meeting so many girls of our country and we have done our best to pick out the one we think will fit the best in the role of a princess and queen. We really hope you all will agree with us and we doubt you won't."

Namjoon passed the microphone over to Yoongi who ended the speech.

"Now, let us reveal her, the one we all fell for, the one that was just outstanding and simply the greatest out of them all!"

The large man approached again and stood beside Choi as he counted down.

"Seven... six... five... four... three... two... and one! LET US HEAR THE NAME OF YOUR NEW PRINCESS!"

"Y/N. Y/N L/N WILL BE THE NEXT QUEEN!"

A sound of a bell and firework filled the hall and I stood there, still as a statue. 

My vision became blurry due to the tears that started welling up in my eyes and I couldn't hear anything for a moment. I felt how someone grabbed me and pushed me to the side, to the middle of the stage. The other girls had already got off the stage, but I hadn't. I stood there in the middle of everything because I would be the next queen.

The TV screen was now showing a girl with a face white as chalk. A girl with red eyes and trembling hands. A girl with seven princes closely behind her. My mouth was frozen wide open in an expression of stunned surprise and although I was staring over the audience, I didn't notice them at all.

"Do you want to say anything to your nation?" The fat man said, holding the microphone closely to me because he wanted me to grab it, but I couldn't. I could barely even blink.

"I-I promise I will solve this, d-don't worry." I managed to say with a cracking weak voice, refering to my family and friends. "I... I will never give up and you k-know that. I swear I w-will be with you soon, okay? Don't w-worry."

The fat man gently pushed me backwards and acted like I wasn't about to have a mental breakdown. He made me sit in the empty throne in the middle of everything and I didn't blink as I stared towards the opening of the hall. My brain was desperately scrambling to make sense of it all. How was this possible? Yesterday morning I was laughing with Gi and now, I'm sitting here in a throne if front of the whole nation, being chosen as the princess.