∟ 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱.

nightshade
part one

FIVE DAYS TURNED into seven, then ten, and then twelve. It seemed like Anna would be asleep forever and no matter what the team did, she wouldn't wake up; Cisco tried playing Poker Face by Lady Gaga twice a day in an attempt to wake up Anna but it always failed; Shannon brought in a piping hot cup of hot chocolate every day and set it down beside Anna's bed in hopes the smell would wake her, but that failed; Caitlin tried meds, but that failed; HR, Nathan and Elena all spoke to her, and that failed; Barry sat beside her bed all day every day and spoke to her when no one was around, hoping his words would wake her up, but they never did.

          Anna's injuries were almost fully healed by now, twelve days after she had fallen into a coma, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Her bruises and shattered knee were completely healed, but her broken ribs and stomach wound were taking much longer.

          Everyone around Barry told him that Anna probably wasn't going to wake up, but he wouldn't believe it no matter how many times he heard it. The only ones who hadn't given up were Barry, Shannon and Elena — the fifteen-year-old refused to believe that her sister, one of the best heroes in the world, would be taken out by a stomach wound and broken bones.

          An alarm sounded in the Cortex and Barry glanced over his shoulder, trying to muster up the energy to go see what was happening in the city that required his help. He slowly pushed himself up from Anna's bedside and walked into the Cortex just as Cisco and Shannon walked in. "What's going on?" He asked, his voice thick with sadness.

          Cisco walked up to the curved desk and tapped a few buttons on the keyboard, his brows furrowing slightly. "A metahuman," he replied and tilted his head. "That can control plants?"

          "What?" Shannon asked in disbelief and walked over to her boyfriend, glancing down at the screen. "Oh, shit, she can."

          Barry changed into his suit quickly and skidded to a stop in front of the curved desk. "Where?" He asked and rested his hands on the metal bar that bordered the desk, leaning forward slightly.

          "That new greenhouse that the city built as a fundraiser," Cisco replied and lifted his head up to look at Barry. He frowned slightly, obviously noticing the dark bags under Barry's eyes and how bloodshot they were from lack of sleep. "Are you sure you can handle this, man?"

          Barry nodded and stood up straight, clearing his throat. He turned his head and looked in at Anna who was still sleeping peacefully on the bed, her lips parted slightly as her chest rose and fell with each breath that Barry prayed wouldn't be her last. "Just keep an eye on her for me," he said and looked back at Shannon and Cisco, giving them a firm nod before bolting out of the Cortex, already feeling guilty for leaving Anna's side.

.: 。

BARRY SKIDDED TO a stop inside the greenhouse, furrowing his brows at the deafening silence that settled in the building. He looked around slowly, observing each plant that could be used against him if the meta chose to.

          "Flash, welcome!" A voice called out from behind the scarlet speedster, causing him to spin around. A woman with jet black hair and pale skin stood about five feet in front of him, a smile painted on her maroon lips as she smiled at him deviously. The woman stood in a black leather suit with small green detailing around the seams. Surprisingly, there was no mask over her eyes which allowed Barry to get a solid look at the woman; he didn't know her face, but he could use it to his advantage when trying to find out who she was. "Where's your partner? I was looking forward to seeing Swift in person."