∟ 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

home stretch
part two

HR'S PALMS BEGAN to sweat inside Anna's sapphire blue gloves as he watched the elevator doors close, sealing his niece safely inside away from any harm or danger; away from anything that would keep her safe from the scary things outside the elevator. He looked down at the drumsticks that were once in his hand that had been turned into the golden lightning bolt keychain Anna carried around everywhere she went, even when she wore the Swift suit. The change had to be convincing. Alacrity and Savitar had to believe, even for a moment, that Swift was dead.

          HR took a few steps away from the elevator and forced himself to turn around. Out of curiosity, he tried to use Anna's speed, but of course, the technology had its flaws and couldn't give him the ability even for a little while. He sighed deeply and walked down the corridor as quickly as he could, desperate to find someone before Alacrity and Savitar could find him.

          HR's mind drifted to his niece back on his earth. He replayed her laughs and how her nose scrunched up when she smiled — a trait that Earth-1 Anna did not possess. A smile crept on his lips as he recalled the memory of him teaching her how to ride a bike. It didn't last long, of course, because six-year-old Anna had her mother's temper and threw a tantrum when she fell off the bike for the first time — she was eleven when she first learned how to ride a bike.

          The smile didn't last long when he remembered what he was about to do. HR was about to leave behind the girl he loved more than himself; the girl he had lost contact with so long ago. It broke his heart, but if he could save a life and prove himself useful, it was enough for him. Part of him wondered if his Anna would even be fazed by his death — would she be upset for a moment and then move on? Would she even care at all? They hadn't spoken in so long that HR forgot how long it had been — did she stop caring about him?

          Tears pricked HR's eyes and he quickly wiped them away with his gloved fingers, shaking his head to rid his mind of the dark thought — of course, she would care. HR cleared his throat and blinked rapidly, clearing his tears as the faint sound of voices slipped into his ears. He walked slowly forward and inhaled deeply before turning the corner.

          "Anna!" Shannon called out as he rounded the corner and caught a glimpse of Wally, Shannon and Iris, causing him to straighten his shoulders. The man smiled, hoping that his disguise would be enough to trick the trio. The caramel-skinned girl jogged up to HR and looked around, her eyes roaming around the corridor behind him. Instantly, HR felt guilty for what he was about to do; what he was about to put Shannon, Barry, and the rest of the team through. They were all going to believe Anna was dead, and he hoped it would only be for a short period of time until his niece really showed up. "Where's HR?"

          "I sent him back to the hospital," HR replied, his eyes almost widening in shock as Anna's voice came from his lips. For a moment, he almost forgot he didn't look like himself. For his last minutes on earth, he would have to pretend to be Shannon's best friend, Barry's girlfriend and partner, his own niece. "He doesn't have to be here. Not for what's about to happen."

          Shannon frowned and rested a hand on HR's face, her kind eyes meeting his; meeting Anna's. "You are strong, Anna Wells. And I know you will fight tooth and nail to stay alive. Alacrity and Savitar have nothing on you or Barry when you work together," Shannon said as a tear rolled down over her cheek. She sighed deeply and sniffed, blinking rapidly as she pulled her hand away from HR's face. "Swift isn't dying today, alright?"