∟ 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.

nightmares
part one

▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀

FLASHES OF RED bounced around in the darkness surrounding Anna and strong gusts of wind burned her skin, making her wobble in the place she stood. Anna squinted her eyes in an attempt to see through the dark but sighed in frustration when it seemed as though the room got darker. Anna spun in a circle slowly and whipped her head around in whatever direction she saw flashes of red light. In the darkness, Anna could hear Alacrity laughing darkly and the sound echoed through her body, rattling her bones and embedding itself deep into her mind.

          "I know you're here, Alacrity! Show yourself!" Anna exclaimed and turned around quickly when a hand tugged at her hair. When her eyes met more darkness, she chewed her lip nervously as the hair on her arms stood on end. Her heart pounded roughly in her chest and beads of sweat formed along her hairline. She clenched her hands into fists and felt her head lurch back as Alacrity tugged her hair once again. A groan of frustration escaped her lips and she whipped around, meeting nothing but darkness once again. "Stop playing games!"

          "But games are so much fun," Alacrity called out through the darkness, her voice echoing and bouncing off the walls. More flashes of red lightning cut through the darkness but didn't provide enough light for Anna to see where she was. Alacrity chuckled once again and Anna knew she was having too much fun with putting Anna through hell. "Especially when I'm winning," she said.

          Anna exhaled deeply and rubbed her hands together to create her own source of light. Little bolts of blue and white lightning jumped around her hands and she looked around, waiting for Alacrity to reveal herself with her red lightning once again. She pulled one hand away and let the lightning creep up her wrist, wrapping itself around her forearm. Show yourself, she thought to herself and looked around quickly.

          As soon as a strip of red lightning cut through the darkness, Anna pulled her hand back and threw her bolt of lightning through the air. The bolt hissed loudly as it sliced through the air and came to a stop once it collided with the red material of Alacrity's suit. Bright light flooded through the room, blinding Anna, and blasted her backward, knocking her toward the ground. Instead of slamming against the floor, Anna kept falling. She fell faster and faster by the minute, her dark hair whipping around in front of her face and blocking her view. As she plummeted toward God knows what, it felt as though all of her organs had gotten heavier and turned to concrete and were dragging her down faster and faster.

          Anna squeezed her eyes shut and prayed to whoever was listening that she would be saved before she slammed into the ground. She let out a scream and felt her body crawling with electricity, igniting a pain in her chest that felt like her flesh and bone was being torn through slowly. Tears stung her eyes and she braced herself for impact, feeling that the end was near and she would soon be put to rest.

          Two hands gripped her arms tightly and Anna snapped her eyes open, another scream ripping through her body as she stared into the glowing red eyes of Alacrity. Anna thrashed around savagely, swinging her hands and legs to the best of her ability as they fell through the air. "Hi, Annie," Alacrity whispered, her voice laced with venom and darkness that wrapped tightly around Anna's heart and squeezed.

          Anna inhaled sharply once her back came in contact with a surface. At first, it sent a surge through her body that made her want to scream in pain, but then she sunk deeper and deeper and realized she was submerged in a body of water with Alacrity still tightly gripping her arms.