∟ 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.

swift vs alacrity
part one

warning: graphic violence.

WHEN ANNA OPENED her eyes, the world was moving by her in a blur so fast that it was hard for her to see the things around her. Blues, greens, greys and blacks all mixed together in a cluster of colour that Anna could make out even if she squinted her eyes. Anna knew exactly where she was — not where in the city, but she knew who she was with and that's what terrified her the most. She squeezed her eyes shut again and pressed her lips together, hoping that when she opened them, she would be in her bed waking up from a bad nightmare.

          Anna opened her eyes and the world was still moving by in a blur. As she opened her mouth to yell at the Woman in Red, she was sent flying through the air and came to an abrupt stop on the hard pavement of the main highway out of Central City. Anna rolled three times across the pavement before coming to a complete stop. She groaned loudly and gritted her teeth as she pushed herself up to her hands and knees. "Not cool," she snapped and turned her head to look at the Woman in Red who was standing right beside her. "Who the hell are you?"

          "Alacrity," the woman replied and rested her hands on her hips. "Speed God."

          Anna let out a laugh and snorted at the woman's words, using her humour to build up her confidence. "Speed God? Oh, sweetheart, you're no Speed God," she said and shook her head, smiling smugly up at the woman.

          "Shut up," the red speedster hissed and pulled her foot back, red lightning curling around her boot. She shot her foot forward and drove her boot into Anna's abdomen, sending her up into the air and then crashing back down on the pavement again with a thud.

          Anna gasped loudly as all the air was knocked from her lungs. Her eyes widened as she tried to force herself to breathe, her throat closing over quickly. She rolled onto her side and got to her knees quickly, letting out a rough cough that burned her throat. "Don't you know it's not cool to kick someone when they're down?"

          Alacrity laughed, the sound becoming distorted by the way her vocal cords were vibrating. "This isn't middle school, Swift. This is real life, we're adults," she said and walked toward Anna slowly, tilting her head. "This is shameful. I always thought Swift was a fighter, but you're just letting me kick you around like a piece of garbage," she said snapped her fingers, forming bolts of lightning that curled up her arm toward her shoulder.

          Anna's eyes flicked down to Alacrity's arm, furrowing her brows at the red lightning that slithered up the red sleeve of her suit that had black ombré from the gloves to her elbow. She looked the speedster up and down, taking her in completely for the first time. From her knee-high boots up to her hips was solid black, and then it faded perfectly into red from the middle of her abdomen up to the high collar around her neck. In the centre of her chest, there was a black emblem with a black lightning bolt that had a red outline, making it appear even more menacing. Though Anna couldn't see the woman's face, she could see the shoulder length, faded red hair that somehow looked pretty.