FIVE - 오

Soa was dressed in a pantsuit

Soa was dressed in a pantsuit. A baby blue ensemble she had received as part of her many birthday presents last year. She didn't wear it often, but today wasn't an ordinary day. Her hair in a sleek ponytail, phone in hand she ambled down the corridor towards the boardroom. The message she'd received from Jeongguk still left unanswered.

From Jk
Hurry up. We're about to start.

Through the glass walls she caught a glimpse of all the people present. Her parents, her brothers, Jeongguk, Yejin and her parents. As expected no one addressed her as she entered. They'd already started with the contract negotiations. A meeting she had no interest in, but Father persisted. "You and Jeongguk need to see how it goes in preparation for your turn."

Taking a seat next to Taehyung, her eyes trailed over Yejin. Seated opposite her, she smiled. It wasn't as bright as all the others she'd received from the girl, but it was a sign that maybe the meeting wasn't as bad as she had expected.

Namjoon was seated beside his fiance, a serious expression on his face. The reality was sinking in. Her brother would no longer be a few steps away. Not at home and not at the office either. He'd be miles away. The only way she or Taehyung would get to see him would be through a video call, that's if he wasn't too busy.

With Seokjin, Soa had quickly come to learn that matrimony in the business world was more complicated. It wasn't a case of love till death. It was love through the binding of an incorruptible contract. Love that was thrust upon every heir. Less time with your birth family and more time with your in-laws.

With Seokjin, she realised that the family outings they had as children, teenagers and young adults became less frequent. Seokjin would come home Christmas holidays and even then he'd treat it as though it was a business meeting. Most of the talk would be about business. Whether or not Kim Group was hoping to invest in any start-ups the following year. When Namjoon was set to arranged. Everything about it lacked warmth. Everything about it was so opposite to what they'd grown up in.

Now, watching Namjoon sign the paper, her face fell. Reality was sinking in and it wasn't pretty.

"Can I please see a copy of the contract?" Soa asked, catching all eyes in the room.

Yejin handed her a copy. A page filled with black ink and lines of regulations Soa couldn't help but pull a face at.

Pre Marriage Contract
TERMS OF CONTRACT

We, Kim Namjoon and Nam Yejin have agreed on Friday, in the month of July, in the year of 2023 to the following terms set out by Kim Group and Nam Towers for the sake of our marriage.

1. We will marry under the family name Kim.
2. We agree that the groom will depart from his home in Seoul and relocate to Busan.
3. We agree that all shares and property owned by the groom will be spilt equally.
4. We agree that all children conceived in this marriage will be the property of Nam Towers and will be raised as suitable heirs.
5. In all legal affairs including, but not limited to divorce, financial settlement and child custody, we will seek the help of Nam Towers professional lawyers.
6. In the case of abuse in all its forms, we will seek the help of Nam Towers professional therapists.
7. We agree that the wife will not do any form of labour.
8. We agree that the husband will accept a position of employment at Nam Towers as a senior manager.
9. We agree that all financial, emotional and business matters will be kept private from the Kim Household and company.
10. We agree that the husband is to spend every family holiday with the Nam family and will only meet the Kim family in the case of wedding celebrations, death and Christmas holidays.

Her eyes looked up at Namjoon. A look of pain crossing over her features upon reading the many terms. Everything was in favour if Yejin and her family. He couldn't call any of them to vent if he needed to. His world would now be her and her only. He shared the same pained expression, but his held acceptance. A look she knew very well considering he'd always been the more accepting sibling between the four of them.

"I'm sorry, but Father, how can you let him sign this?" Soa asked, her eyes staring at her father. Her mouth pulling downward as she continued to stare at the man who'd let this happen. First with Jin, now with Namjoon. If this was the preparation that he was talking about then she'd rather not be prepared.

"Soa-"

"No, Namjoon." She interrupted. Her voice carrying a cold tone that didn't match with the glimmer in her eyes. "You and I both know that nothing in that contract is fair-"

"Miss Kim, if you will just give us a chance to explain-"

"My brother has worked hard for all he's achieved. His shares and property have nothing to do with this arrangement." She spoke, pointing between Yejin and Namjoon. "Then you're asking him to turn all matters to your team of professionals? Who's supposed to defend him if there's foul play?"

Valid questions were fired from her mouth, but they were unnecessary, considering that Namjoon had already signed the papers. He'd already given his life away.

"Miss Kim, I understand your concern, but we will care for your brother as if he was our own." Mr Nam explains, a polite smile gracing his features.

"If he was your property, I'm sure you'd have a contract with better terms."

-

"What was that back there?" Namjoon yelled, pulling at the elbow of his younger sister. His face free from the controlled expression he carried throughout the meeting.

It's something he learnt how to do at a very young age. Fooling everyone with the facade of a relaxed and easy-going guy. Everyone but Soa. She'd seen his expression change in the boardroom already.

Soa passes him a scoff, pulling her elbow free. Her annoyance grew as she watched all three men in her life sit in complete silence. Accepting everything like hopeless fools. As if marrying Yejin was the last option Namjoon needed. If anything, Nam Towers needed Kim Namjoon more than he needed them. If only he could realise it too.

"So now you talk? After you've signed your life away?"

"Babe, don't do this here." Jeongguk says, aware that they're still in the eyes of the public. No one may have heard what was being said in the boardroom, but they saw. The hand he puts in hers is enough to have her shut up.

Walking next to her in silence is Jeongguk. He'd expected her to be angry. Accustomed to her passion, he's not surprised that she'd react the way she had. Equality has always been her thing. Especially if it was an issue concerning her brothers.

"This conversation is not over." Namjoon speaks, a stern expression taking over his features.

With frowning eyebrows of her own, she leaves him there.