THIRTYONE - 삼십 일

Bodies move to and fro, each of them carrying bright smiles and laughter

Bodies move to and fro, each of them carrying bright smiles and laughter. A sight only ever visible when very important people enter an event like this. Not to say Mother and Father don't carry an aura of importance, they do. We all do, but Mr Jeon and Mrs Jeon do it better.

With polite smiles and expensive attire, I watch as my soon-to-be parents walk with their arms linked, staring right at me as I stand beside Father, hoping my face doesn't show how nervous I feel. It's been a while since I've seen Jeongguk's parents. Remembering how unpleasant our last meetings have been doesn't help ease my nerves. I'm just happy they are attending, even if they missed half of the event.

Father steps forward offering hugs to both, while I politely bow, not sure how close I'm supposed to get. Mrs Jeon reaches out to me, her smile more real than it had been a moment ago.

"Soa, dear, you look like you're about to get scolded," I let out and awkward chuckle, allowing myself to relax in her hold. Her hugging me shows that we're somewhat okay, "No need to behave differently now. Business is business and family is family."

She smiles one last time before disappearing after Father. Her husband only gives me a nod of acknowledgement, something I should probably start getting used to. He's never been fond of me and that will most likely never change. No wedding could change that.

I pull my eyes off the couple and instead focus in on the glass of champagne in my hands. A glass of liquid courage to face the questions and congratulations that have been following me around all evening. Bubbles rise to the surface, a clear representation of what I feel. The inner fear and excitement of not knowing what's next.

Jeongguk ambles up to me, hair neatly styled out his face. Fresh cut doing nothing to hide his very evident scowl. It's been there all evening. Jimin had teased him about wrinkles, only for the male to cuss at him. Now, he directs that same look at me.

"We need to talk."

It's a firm statement. No negotiation or discussion. I place the almost empty glass of champagne on the bar beside me.

"What happened-"

"If it isn't the lovely couple," A woman I don't recognize cuts in with a shrill voice. The glass beside me could easily crack from the pitch of it. "Congratulations on your engagement, Jeongguk. You've really grown into a handsome young man." She smiles, patting his shoulder. Her diamond ring glistens under the lighting, showing that like every other member of his family, she's got money or married into it.

He smiles, tight and fake. Pulling away from her hand after a few taps. "Thank you, aunty. I'm glad you could make it." It sounds small and less like the gravelly sound he used when speaking to me.

She scoffs, running her hand along his jaw. There's plenty of affection in the act, raising my eyebrows. If she's so close, how come I've never met her? "As if I'd miss your engagement party. Your mother didn't even need to convince me to come." She laughs, patting him again.