SIXTEEN - 십육

"Yeah, I totally agree with letting his ex girlfriend stay over at his house

"Yeah, I totally agree with letting his ex girlfriend stay over at his house. You're so sweet." Irena chimes over the phone. Even though I can't see her expression, I know it's pure sarcasm dripping through the speaker.

I heave a deep sigh at her tone. I expected her to bring up the topic. Of course I'm not sweet in letting Stephanie stay over at the Jeon Mansion while everyone else who arrived in Seoul is currently at hotels, courtesy of Mother. As my closest cousin, Irena is aware of it.

I couldn't exactly tell Jeongguk that his suggestion bothered me. The last thing I want is for him to think I don't trust him, especially when there's no reason not to.

Finding out that Stephanie would be Yejin's maid of honour surprised me. They were close friends back then, but I never would've thought their friendship would last for all these years. Even Namjoon was surprised to find out.

"She has nowhere else to go." I deadpann, knowing it's a lie.

She may no longer live in Korea, but Stephanie has a lot of relatives that would gladly take her in for the night. Even she could provide her own accommodation being a successful model. Why Jeongguk was her first option is weird, considering their breakup wasn't the best.

"Of course she doesn't. Not like she grew up in South Korea or anything." Irena continues, causing me to roll my eyes.

Hosoek and Irena landed in Seoul this afternoon. They both made a quick stop at the office, not wanting to skip out on greeting myself and Taehyung. I appreciate the both of them for remaining the same people despite the distance between Seoul and New York.

Growing up with only guys, it's nice to sit and have girl chats with my cousin now and then. We're the closest in age, so it makes sense that out of our whole pool of family she'd be the one I trust the most.

"Rene, just leave it." I sigh. Deciding to change the topic with, "Looking forward to driving with Jimin?"

Irena groans through the phone. Ever since we were kids, Irena couldn't stand the sight of Park Jimin. Wherever the two of them are, there's sure to be a couple of insults loosely being thrown in the air. It's a tension that has managed to stay strong all these years.

When it comes to personality, Irena is the exact same as Jimin. Confident, easy-going and rebellious. Traits she managed to expand even more while living in America. Growing up outside of the business world left plenty of room for reckless living.

"Not like I have a choice. I'd rather be with Jimin than interact with Miss America."

For the next few minutes, Irena and I spoke about the wedding. How weird Namjoon and Yejin had been at dinner only a few hours ago. She assumed it was probably because everyone had been at dinner and focusing on the two of them. An insane amount of unwanted attention could do that to anyone. Even Jeongguk and I behave awkwardly when surrounded by a lot of people.