ONE - 일

"Would it kill you to fake a smile?" Taehyung mumbles, handing a glass containing a concoction I have no interest in taking

"Would it kill you to fake a smile?" Taehyung mumbles, handing a glass containing a concoction I have no interest in taking. My eyes rake over the drink, lips speaking a quiet "No thanks" which he ignores by shoving it into my hand. Taehyung gives me a once over, brown eyes staring at my face as if to figure out what I'm thinking.

Dressed in a navy blue suit, I can admit that my brother looks dashing. He fits the image he portrays. Educated, well mannered and poised. He'd been taught well by Seokjin on how to appear in public. That's how he managed to look completely calm even though we both know he's far from it. His constant drinks are proof thereof.

A month ago, mother and father had informed Taehyung and me that Namjoon would be getting married. Not for love, like most people do, but in order to obtain shares from another business. We'd expected it, but not so soon.They didn't look emotional breaking the news, almost as if it had been planned years ahead. Knowing them it probably was.

The news wasn't the worst part of the deal. Growing up all of us had been used to seeing our aunts and uncles marry people for the sake of the business. Moving to different cities, countries, doing anything that was required of their contract. Two years ago we experienced our own wedding through Seokjin. A beautiful ceremony with only close relatives. He moved to China afterwards.

Of course our parents were happy when he accepted it. Happy that their son could make even more money for them while officially leaving our family. We haven't seen him much since then. He only ever visited during the Christmas holidays, but even that wasn't enough.

Between the three of us, Namjoon had been the most upset by the results. He'd basically lost his other half. The loss caused him to follow Taehyung and I around like a lost puppy. We didn't mind it, only asking him to keep whatever he saw a secret. Eventually he stopped following us and started hanging out with Min Yoongi.

Tonight Namjoon dons a dimpled smile as he gives a speech. Business jargon flowing out of his mouth in a way that impresses most attending the event.

"It's been a beautiful few years at Kim Group. Mom, Dad, you've aided me with the necessary knowledge for the next chapter of my journey. Matrimony is not an easy task. It requires leadership, commitment and communication. Skills you've instilled in myself, Taehyung and Soa from our diaper days. For that, I thank you."

"Is it me or has he become even more boring?" Jimin whispers, causing me to smile.

Park Jimin, Taehyung's best friend. He's been around since middle school. Growing from a chubby nice guy to a charming, flirty casanova. With slicked back hair and a red suit, Jimin fits the role he's created for himself. Rebellious, arrogant and handsome. It's not something his parents are too fond of. Mine aren't either, but they'd finally come to accept the inseparable behaviour of Jimin and Taehyung.

"It's not just you. He's been speaking for a while now." Jeongguk whispers back, standing too close. The dimly lit room hides the way his hand molds into mine well.

Jeon Jeongguk. Confident, but quiet. He has always been. Even when he moved to Seoul and looked like a complete outcast with his bunny like features. Taehyung, being his friendly self had been the first to approach him. After that the two just clicked.
Jeongguk became the third best friend to Jimin and Taehyung and the first boyfriend to me. That's why neither of them say anything about the hand they so clearly see holding onto my own.

"With that said, I'd like to call up Kim Taehyung, acting CEO of Kim Group." Namjoon smiles, moving aside as Taehyung hurriedly walks to the front.

There's a nervous tilt to his voice when he starts speaking. Nervous laughter sounding over the mic as he tries to brush it off. His eyes focus on mine even in the low lighting of the room. Taehyung never really liked speaking to the huge crowds. It's unexpected of his personality, but he's been that way since we were kids. Swaying, fidgeting, smiling, all at once.

He sounds different from Namjoon. Less mature with his wording, but more real.

"Namjoon had big shoes to fill, but mine are even bigger." Head scratch. "I didn't think I'd be taking over the business so soon. It's only been four years since I graduated, but I'm up for the challenge. With our parents, Soa and I aim to grow Kim Group into an even bigger business. We hope you'll support us and Namjoon we wish you a happy marriage."

People clap, most of them impressed with Taehyung. Jimin hollers, drawing the attention of many displeased faces. His parents being two of them.

The evening continues with a live jazz band performing items. Food is served and everyone is happy. Chatting away, minding their own business. It's a pleasant setup. More relaxed than that of Seokjin. Even our parents seem to be enjoying the evening.

"You guys are coming to the after party right?" Jimin asks no one in particular. "Yoongi said it'll be at Love Maze."

Taehyung shrugs because he'll probably join.
Already tipsy from all he's taken to calm his nerves.

"Soa?"

"No."

I watch as his face falls. "Why? We always go together."

Besides looking like someone to avoid, Jimin could be cute at times. He has the habit of pouting when he wants something. Me joining or not going won't directly affect him, but it affects the attendance of his other best friend.

"I'm not in the mood-"

"But then Jeongguk won't go."

"So? How's that on me?"

Jimin turns to Taehyung. Glass in hand, the latter doesn't care.

"Gguk? You coming or staying with Soa?"

Jeongguk nods. "I'll meet you guys there."

"This is why I don't date. Imagine missing out on a night with the guys for my girl." Jimin mumbles, passing Jeongguk a glare.

"I didn't say no though."

"This," He motions between the two of us, "Worst decision for this friend group."

-

Authors Note:

Thank you for reading Chapter 1 of Euphoric Love. I hope you'll stick around for the next chapters. ❤️🙏