Chapter 36 - The King of the Jungle

I rolled out the way causing him to miss me and instead break the part of the tree I was on with his mighty claws. He quickly recovered from the miss as he leaped at me and unleashed a fury of claw attacks. I raised my arms to defend my exposed face as to guard against the furious strikes. They were powerful swipes but not nearly as strong as Voytek's mighty paws. The armor on my arms began to chip and crack but they held on strong.

Balthazar: What's the matter, monkey? Scared to attack your king?

Devan: No, I just wouldn't feel right if I hit a small fragile kitten such as yourself.

That small insult seemed to have stricken his pride as his attacks became more aggressive.

Balthazar: I'll slice you into pieces for that insult, monkey!

I think I touched a nerve with that one.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: He appears to be very prideful even for a lion.

Now the armor on my arms began to break from the more aggressive attacks causing him to draw blood from me. Having enough of the onslaught I knocked his arms to the side before headbutting him with my helmet. With him dazed I raised my katana and delivered a powerful downward strike on his right wing. My blade cut through easily as the flames burned brighter from striking a godlike being.

He was shocked before he snarled at me as the bleeding from his now severed wing stop. He backed up while he kept his eyes on my blade seeing it glow with runes embedded into it.

Balthazar: Your weapon is enchanted isn't it? That's the only way your blade wouldn't be shattered when it touched me. Then I shall use the weapons the my lord has given me to enforce my rule.

He closed his eyes before opening them revealing them to be glowing gold. He then let out a fear inducing roar that caused his mane to be turned into fire.

What's he doing?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: It's a divine ability granted to him from a god called The king's battle cry. His power has increased from being under Ariel's to now being over Voytek's. If he had allies with him their power would've also increased.

I was more cautious now since he was even stronger than Voytek. And I did not want to be manhandled again.

And his strength compared to mine?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: On par.

That's not good but I think I can deal with that.

He stopped his roaring before launching himself at me at high speed somehow using his remaining wing. I raised my katana in time to block, but I was struggling to hold him back due to the velocity and strength of the attack. I managed to gather the strength to slam him down on the ground making the leaves above us to shake and some to fall.

I got on top of him pinning him down as I began to slam my obsidian fist into his chest. His ribs would've cracked if he hadn't swiped at my face with his right paw. I was sent tumbling a few feet away by the strike allowing him the chance to recover. I came to a halt as I got up examining the damage he did to me.

He didn't hit my eyes, but his claws went pretty deep so it may leave a big scar.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: In the eyes of the wildlife you're both handsome and terrifying, so the scar wouldn't change much. But we can discuss this later for now dodge to your right, please.

Huh?

I looked up in time to dodge another attack from his powerful paw. The leaves were still falling from above us making the battleground look beautiful. But now was not the time to admire the scenery, it was my turn to attack. I lowered my hand before launching a tidal wave of leaves into his line of sight.