Chapter 44 - The blizzard

We were right the small snowfall soon turned into a raging blizzard, and we were caught in the middle of it. The snow blew violently all around us reducing our vision to only about three feet in front of us.

The snow reached up to my wrists and ankles making movement difficult. Everyone else was safely huddled in the backpack to be protected from the extreme cold this storm brought. Not even Naira's fur could keep her warm.

How much longer will this blizzard last?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: About six more hours.

Great.

I stumbled as some strong wind managed to knock me off balance, but I quickly steadied myself before continuing on. The lid of the backpack opened enough for Alyssa to pop her head out.

Alyssa: (Honey, are you alright?!)

She had to yell so that I could hear her over the raging storm.

Devan: (I'll be fine, just keep yourself and the others warm while I try to get us out of this storm!)

Alyssa: (Alright!)

She retreated back into the warmth and safety of the backpack as I let out a small sigh.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: User.

Yes?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: There is an important matter I wish to discuss with you.

I've got nothing else to do so go ahead.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Once you find a troop, how do you plan to get them to join your kingdom?

Hopefully I can convince them.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Words are unlikely to work.

What do you mean?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: You plan to convince the leading silverback to give up his right to rule and mate, so he could instead serve under you? No silverback would agree to that.

I can't just force them to follow me.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: You don't have to. You just need to show them who's the strongest by beating the leading silverback in combat. Once that's done the rest of the troop will recognize your dominance and be willing to follow you.

Fighting a silverback won't be easy.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Indeed, but with your current strength it shouldn't be difficult.

Our conversation ended as my right hand crushed something hard buried underneath the layers of snow. I lifted my hand allowing me to see bone fragments embedded in my knuckles.

I looked down at where my hand was and brushed the snow away revealing that I had crushed the skull of a human skeleton.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Warning detecting multiple hostile entities!

The snow around us started to shift and rise as skeletons began pulling themselves up and out of the ground. Their flesh was either gone or barely hanging on to what remained of their frozen bones, some even had weapons and armor.

Instead of hollow sockets something bright blue was within their eyes. In only a matter of seconds we were completely surrounded.