Chapter 2 - Learning

I was stirred from my peaceful slumber by my mother's movements. She was holding me close to her chest as she stretched out her limbs. The other apes seemed to already be awake and are currently gathering near the base of the trees. My mother brought me away from her chest as she held me in front of her.

Brianna: (There's my big handsome boy. Did you sleep well, sweety?)

I could only respond with a coo, but that seemed to be enough for my mother as she placed a gentle kiss on my forehead before hugging me close to her once more. She wrapped one of her arms securely around me as she began to climb down the tree.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Good morning, User.

Morning to you too, System. I forgot to ask last time but is the gorillas' behavior in this world the same as from my old one.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: To an extent, yes, it's currently six in the morning, so the apes will begin to prepare to forage for food.

My mother finished getting us to the base of the tree we slept in. She got down on all fours before placing me on her back. I instinctively grasped on tightly to her fur as she walked over to the gathered troop. Once the silverback saw us, he let out a short grunt before walking away. Everyone quickly got into what seemed to be a traveling formation. The silverback was in the front, the females, infants, and adolescents in the center, and the blackbacks took up the rear.

The silverback began leading the troop through the thick jungle vegetation, all the while keeping vigilant. He kept turning his head, scanning the area around us while occasionally sniffing the air. Some of the apes were also sniffing the air, more than likely trying to smell the area with the most amount of food.

System how strong are these gorillas' sense of smell?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: They can smell fragrances most other creatures can't and from a greater distance. But they are also able to smell faint odors certain plants produce to see if it's safe for consumption. As your body grows, your sense of smell will also improve.

So once I mature and I increase my skills, I could be as strong as the silverback one day. But that is if I even live long enough to see adulthood. There's no doubt plenty of dangers in this world I don't know about. Are there any creatures in this jungle that can kill my troop?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Many. There are threats below and above ground, in the water, even in the air. Your father may be able to fight off a single powerful predator, but even someone as strong as him can be overwhelmed by the beasts that inhabit this jungle. However, I'm certain that if your troop were to be attacked, the silverback would fight with everything he has. After all, that's the duty of a father.

The silverback grunted loudly, ending our conversation. His eyes carefully scanned the area we arrived in as they darted over to the slightest hints of movement among the vegetation. I tore my eyes away from my father as I looked around as well.

 I tore my eyes away from my father as I looked around as well