Chapter 30 - The giant trees

We began to travel deeper into the jungle intending to reach the giant trees in the center. Caesar told me of a giant creature that lives at the top as the apex predator. And I'm going to go up there and kill whatever it is and make those trees my home. This is probably a stupid decision since I have a wife now and I don't want her to die. Speaking of which she is currently on my back with tiny Wystan as I walked.

Alyssa: (Where are we going?)

Devan: (To find a home for our troop in the giant trees.)

She looked at me with concern and fear in her eyes.

Alyssa: (What about the creature my father said currently inhabits the trees?)

Devan: (I'll deal with it.)

Alyssa: (How? It is said to be the apex predator of this jungle. My family even said it could possibly be immortal.)

Devan: (No creature is immortal, if it can bleed it can die. I just have to stab it repeatedly or beat it into submission.)

Alyssa: (Alright I'll trust your judgment on this, but please don't die I just got you as a husband.)

I nodded before continuing to walk through the thick jungle as it was already becoming dusk. I wonder what type of creature this apex predator is. I guess we'll see when we get there but for now time to make some nests. I stopped in a nice clear area with some shrubs nearby.

Devan: (Let's sleep here, tomorrow I'll find something for us to eat.)

Alyssa: (Alright love.)

She pulled and gathered some of the plants and shrubs to make a nice comfortable nest. While she gathered the plants on the ground I climbed the trees and pulled some of the huge leaves to frame the nest. And Wystan helped by cheering me on as I pulled the leaves off the trees. Once I gathered a fair amount I jumped down shaking the ground causing Alyssa to lose her balance.

Alyssa: (Honey can you pass me those leaves you have please? Also warn me next time you jump from a tree.)

Devan: (Sure.)

I passed her the leaves as she laid them out horizontally on the ground, she then placed the small shrubs and plants on top before placing the rest of the leaves on top. I was slightly confused on why she did that and she seemed to notice.

Alyssa: (If you place the smaller plants on top of the bigger leaves and a big leaf on top it feels so soft. I learned that trick while out with the hunting group.)

Devan: (Why did you only make one nest?)

Alyssa: (Because I want to snuggle close to my husband. Besides my parents said your fur was so soft and warm that it put my little brother and the other kids to sleep almost instantly. I want to see for myself so hurry up and lay down.)

She nudged me to the nest so I lied down as she layed on my stomach. She closed her eyes and began to softly snore immediately. Wystan, not wanting to sleep alone, got on my head before transforming into his rock form to sleep. I wrapped my left arm around Alyssa to keep her safe and warm while I used my right as a pillow. Hopefully nothing attacks us while we sleep.

- .. -- . / ... -.- .. .--.

I woke up not to the sun but to the sound of whispering and movement. Whoever they were weren't animals but the noises they made didn't sound human. I then heard a weapon be pulled from it's scabbard. So they aren't friendly and it sounds like there are multiple enemies.

???: Sto es spet?

???: Fal'tah awet but sep meat nef them vie feed lan encam.

The only thing I understood was "meat" "them" and "feed". It sounds like they intend to eat us or at least me. They began to slowly approach but the grass beneath their feet gave away their position to me. They were just out of grabbing distance so I slowly shifted Alyssa and Wystan off me and waited. Apparently they didn't notice me move them as they continued to get closer. They were now at the perfect position so I jumped up and slammed my fist into the nearby creature.