Chapter 3 - Ingenuity

When I opened my eyes I saw that the sun was just rising. Everyone else seemed to be waking up as well. System said I should be able to move today, and in two eat solid food. I tried to get up but my legs instantly started to wobble.

I fell but I caught myself on a nearby rock. As I was about to attempt to walk again I was picked up by my mother.

Brianna: (Little one, you must first learn to grasp my fur before attempting to move on your own.)

She went over to the silverback I think to speak with him.

Brianna: (Brutus, I'm going to see how well Devan's grip is.)

Brutus: (Very well, but be careful I smelled a strange fragrance this morning.)

Brianna: (I'm pretty sure that smell is just you Brutus.)

Brutus: (*Chuckle* It may be, but please be careful.)

Brianna: (I will, and when I get back I need to discuss something with you.)

Brutus: (Alright.)

As they walk away from each other my mother spoke to me again.

Brianna: (We'll be going a little bit away from the nest. But don't worry your tough mama would be there to protect you.)

She then gave me a small kiss on the head. I just gave a small nod, she then proceeded to place me onto her back. As to not fall off I grasped some of her fur, and she began to move a little slow to make sure I wasn't gonna fall. But seeing as I wasn't budging she began to increase her speed.

Until she was finally at a full sprint, it wasn't too difficult to hold on and the wind felt nice on my body. Only now did I realize how fast my mother is, we started from our nest but now we were a few miles away. Once she stopped she began to climb one of the tall trees.

Brianna: (Okay little one, this is the final test I want to do. I'm going to jump off this tree and land on the ground. This is just to see if you're able to hold on strong enough if we had to escape from danger. If you feel like you're slipping tell me so I may catch you before you fall.)

I give a small nod of conformation. Once we were at the top I was able to see the rest of the forest we were in. But there was a certain section of the forest that seemed darker, and covered in what I think is a white blanket. I was pulled from my thoughts by my mother asking if I was ready one last time. I gave another nod and tightened my grip on her fur.

Brianna: (Okay, hold on tight!)

She jumped and I felt like I was gonna die, the ground looked so small from up there but now we were quickly plummeting towards it. I closed my eyes bracing for our inevitable death.
...
.....
*Boom*
.....
...

I'm not dead? I open my eyes to see us in a small crater. A few of the smaller trees seemed to shift away slightly, before returning to their original position.

Brianna: (Are you alright little one?)

She began to look over my body for any scratch or bruise, and she began to poke my feet and belly. Which caused me to let out a small giggle.

She giggled as well before placing me on her back again. She was jogging back to the nest while I looked at everything we passed. There were a couple of strange birds with long tails, a catlike creature, a tree that seemed to be covered in the same blanket I saw on that one patch of the forest.

Everything was going well, we where really close to the nest now but out of the corner of my eye I saw something with red eyes shift. But when I looked back it was just a berry bush being blowed by the wind. I did a quick sniff test but I only smelled the fragrance of the berries.