Chapter 42 - Mammoth herd

(My small brain is running out of ideas.)

Alyssa, Wystan and Arlin got back on the ground doing their own things. I went up to the unconscious leopard and lifted the carcass off her revealing she was alive just unconscious. Blood was seeping from the wounds that littered her body coating the snow and her white fur in crimson red.

She's still wounded and will bleed out if we don't do something. Hey System how long will it be until she wakes up?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Approximately... thirty minutes.

That should be long enough for Arlin to patch her up.

I put the wolf in my inventory before turning around to see Arlin patching up the wounds everyone got during the fight with the wolf pack. Currently he was finishing wrapping up Alyssa's knuckles who must've cut them while beating one of the wolves. Even Wystan had wrapping around his butt making it look like he was wearing a diaper.

Devan: Hey Arlin.

He stopped and turned to me causing a shy smile to spread across his face.

Arlin: Y-Yes?

I gestured over to the unconscious leopard before speaking.

Devan: Can you patch her up please?

He turned to the leopard and instantly froze up as the smile on his face vanished being replaced by an expression that showed immense fear. His breathing even began to increase as his body slightly shook. I gently picked him up and gave him a nice, warm, comforting hug. His breathing slowed and the shaking reduced as he slowly calmed down.

Devan: It's alright I'll be right here. I won't let anything bad happen to you.

He looked up at me with a little bit of courage in his eyes as he shakily nodded his head. I gave him an encouraging smile before I brought him over to the unconscious leopard. I let him go allowing him to crouch down next to her to examine her wounds.

After a few seconds he removed his gloves, causing him to shiver, before taking out the same little box he used to patch my arrow wound. While he was taking out the items he needed he began to whisper some encouragement to himself.

Arlin: O-Ok, calm down A-Arlin you fought the u-undead, you survived encounters with many s-scary monsters, this should be n-nothing.

He's scared of even being near her, huh?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Throughout this entire journey he's been attacked and nearly killed by several creatures. I would genuinely be surprised if he didn't develop some fear for beasts.

But what about me and Alyssa? We're technically considered beasts yet he doesn't get scared around us.

S.Y.S.T.E.M: I don't know how he feels about your wife, but I do know he sees you as his protector. You have been there to save his life nearly every time he was attacked. I'm certain he has developed some sort of attachment towards you as a result.

Wind blew in our direction giving me a nice cool breeze.

Oh, well that's something. By the way did it colder?

S.Y.S.T.E.M: Indeed it has the battle with the wolves took up a lot of time. In a few minutes more wind will come and when it does it will mark the start of the increaseing cold. I'll update your map in a moment, but for the meantime continue straight ahead.

Alright, I better get everyone moving then.

I looked back down at Arlin to see how long it would be until he was finished. He finished stitching up a large wound on her left shoulder. There are still a few more wounds he needs to clean and stitch, so this might take a few minutes.