Chapter 5

"Just giving this bitch a good time!" My captor says, laughing evilly, I look down ashamed.
"She doesn't look like she's having a good time. Let go of her. We know her. She saw was David did to the one direction man. Stop." Luke says coldly, and the man looks at me in alarm, releasing me hurriedly, I fall to the ground and throw up from the pain in my stomach from the punches. "Get out of here." Luke says to the man, as I roll over (away from my vomit) and stare at the stars. I hear heavy footsteps walk towards me and I see Luke standing above me.
"You're coming with me." He says, kind of nicely compared to how he said it this morning. I giggle comparing the two ways he said it, I feel drunk.
"Why are you laughing? Are you hurt?" Luke says worriedly to me, lifting me up bridal style, I don't even feel the moment. Once he asks the second question I stop laughing at look at him seriously.
"Yes." I mutter quietly. He looks at me nervously.
"Where?" He asks, walking towards a car that is parked at the end of the alley. I point towards my belly, then my head then my arm. I still feel blood pouring out my arm where it was cut.
"Why do people hurt me?" I whisper to Luke, he places me into the passenger seat of his car, and smiles sadly at me,
"People don't hurt other people on purpose, sometimes its second nature, but sometimes it's because they've been hurt themselves, so all they know is hurt and all they can do is hurt the people they love, because they don't know how to love." I nod at his intelligent answer.
"Why did my dad hurt me then?" I ask sleepily, I realise I'm bleeding in his car and try to move my arm so he can strap me in.
"What do you mean?" He asks seriously. But I fall into unconsciousness before I can answer.

I dream of my dad coming into my room late at night. I'm only 7. He comes in and tells me he's going to show me something special. He smells of alcohol. He takes of his underwear. The smell of alcohol overwhelms me as I feel searing pain, everywhere. I feel dirty ashamed. I hate myself.

I wake sweating and scared, terrified, I lift my head slowly, feeling a sharp pain tear across the side of my face, I ignore it and focus on my surroundings. I was asleep in a large king sized bed, I'm only wearing my panties, bra and an oversized t-shirt which isn't mine. I try to think of the last thing that happened to me. I was being attacked...then Luke came, he saved me! But why? Something about me being a witness. What does me witnessing a man die have to do with any of this mess?
I stand slowly and look around the room for a door, there's 2, one is presumably the exit to the room, and one would be an en suite. I go for the door on my left, stumbling drunkly from the pain in my arm and chest. Ah yes, that's where I was cut and hit. I open the door slowly and see a toilet; this is the bathroom, the light is already on and it illuminates the whole bedroom, where I see a wardrobe, a chest of drawers and the bed. I ignore this and head into the bathroom.
I lock the door incase anyone tries to get in, and I walk slowly towards the mirror I see above the sink. I look at myself and gasp in shock. There's a jagged scar going down the side of my face, and a larger one on my arm. They're both dried but still hurt like hell. There's a bruise on my left temple but the worst is when I lift up my top, I see a large black and blue bruise, the closer I look, the more bruises I see. I hiss in pain and discomfort at seeing this on my body. I then hear a voice in my head, similar sounding to my dads 'you deserve this and more. Do more. Your worthless.' Usually my anxiety tablets stop the voices but I don't have a clue where they are, I don't feel the shakes yet so I'll be fine. But the goddamn voice just won't be quite! I sit in the corner in the little space between the toilet and the bath, and slowly rock forwards and backwards with my hands to my ears as silent tears trickle down my face like a broken tap.
I hear a door open in the bedroom and footsteps walking towards the bathroom.
"Courtney?" I hear someone say. Luke? He's standing right outside the bathroom door.
I stand quickly and wipe my eyes, they're still red from crying but I'll make do. The voices are still telling me how disgusting I am.
"Yeah...yeah I'm just coming." I say quickly, I sound suspicious and Luke's silence informs me he does too. I flush the toilet inconspicuously and unlock the door, walking right into his chest. Wow he smells good.
Stop. I tell myself off and blush at my awkwardness and my wayward thoughts.
"Erm sorry." I say, embarrassed, looking down and shifting my eyes to any where but him. Eventually, when I do look at him, he's smirking down at me, he looks so arrogant. I hate it.
"So I've had a talk with the boys and you have to stay here until things have settled down between us and one direction. You're a key witness and we can't let them getting their hands on you." He rushes. I have to stay here? With them? I feel my eyes flash with fear, I haven't slept in the same house as a boy for years... It's just too much. I want to scream and shout that I won't stay, like all the girls do in books but I don't I just stay looking down and tersely nod my head. Looking up at him I see a confused expression on his face, he's expecting me to ask questions? I want to fight back but I reason it in my head, I can play their game, then when they least suspect it...run. They'll expect me to fight straight away, and resist them, but if I do the total opposite, they'll think I'm weak and defenceless.
I'll play them at their own game.