Chapter 26

*Lukes p.o.v*
I run my hand angrily through my hair, thinking of the previous night. Shaun was lying about everything, so his gang won't help us raid One Direction's gang operation, like we need them. We still have Courtney, I'm surprised she still hasn't figured out exactly why we had her, I thought she would. She's clever.

My phone rings and I look at it out of the corner of my eye. Jan.

"Hello." I sigh into the phone,

"You've still got her right? I saw her dad, almost hit him when I did." She says anxiously, then laughs.

"We still have her. I actually did punch him." I reply.

"Did you kill him?" She asks blandly, and I take a moment to reply.

"No. We left him, he deserves to suffer." I spit, she pauses for a moment, long enough for me to think she's hung up.

"I can't believe he did that to us." She says quietly. I sigh recalling the last time I saw him. George.

*
"I don't know why you keep doing this." Ashton shouts at George, he laughs. His high of his head.

"Doing what?" He laughs. He is much older than us, but is still in the gang business. I look at him with distaste, when I'm his age I don't want to be doing this.

"Stealing. You're supposed to be a member of this gang, but I'm done letting it slide." Ashton says angrily. We're in an abandoned warehouse, Ashton, Calum, Michael, George and I.

"You gonna shoot me." He laughs, he doesn't even look scared.

"No, that would be too easy. Haven't you got a daughter? How old's she?" Ashton asks, his eyes flash with anger at the mention of his daughter.

"Yeah. Fucking bitch she is. Same age as him, 17." He gestures to me. I frown at him, how'd he know how old I was. I knew vaguely he had a wife, but he never once mentioned a daughter, even though we had only been a gang for about a year.

"We know where she is. We know everything about her, and we're gonna get her, and kill her. Just to hurt you." Ashton says, George's eyes look hard at Ashton, and he laughs.

"I don't give a fuck, she ran from me." He laughs, but it sounds weak.

Ashton walks away from George, his threat hanging in the air, Calum, Michael and I follow. That night Ashton told us everything he knew about Courtney, and I recognised her instantly from a picture that she was the quiet, pretty girl in my class, who blushed all the time, and who I would sometimes find myself looking at during class.
*
That was only 7 months ago, and we hadn't expected to get Courtney so quickly. I frown thinking of not being able to properly see her for a week. Why am I frowning? I shake it off and get up to see if she wants any dinner, considering its 7 o'clock.

I tap lightly on the door, but hear no response, so I open the door slowly, all the lights are off and I can hear her gentle breathing coming from the bed. She's asleep, I stare for a second at her sleeping form, and then close the door, I turn round to see Michael staring right at me. My natural reaction would be to jump out of my skin, but I remain looking cooly at him, with my hands by my side.

"Whatcha doing?" Michael asks loudly, looking at me hesitantly.

"Seeing if she wanted dinner, she's asleep so Sh!" I tell him, whispering slightly, he cocks an eyebrow up at me, then laughs slightly.

"So? She ran from us Luke!" Michael says, walking into the living room, I follow him.

"She was scared and thought she had to give that man the money." I defend her. Michael stared at me, and I turned away from his gaze at this point he sits on the sofa, and I sit on the opposite one.

"She's got under your skin. You said this wouldn't happen." He finally sighs.

"Don't say you expected her to be exactly like this. You didn't, we all thought she'd fight and at least try to get away. But she doesn't! I just feel sorry for her!" I exclaim, and he pauses momentarily,

"I know, I feel sorry for her too. I remember that night Ashton told her about us and I expected her to be angry and confident and everything. But she's not and I hate it." He finally admits, and I relax slightly. I totally agree with him. We didn't know about Courtney's past, just how old she was and where she lived, and that she went to our school. It wasn't a surprise she lived on the East side of London, that's where you're told you're safe. When in reality, you're safe nowhere.

~
This story is getting so confusing I'm sorry😂