Chapter 4

There were no recent pics of Michael that fitted this theme, cry
___________________________
In my dream I feel suffocated and am being surrounded by dark shadows. I wake with a start, my nose stings slightly, and my arms and legs are tied to something. I open my eyes and see I am sitting on a metal chair, my arms and legs are tied with course rope, I move my arm slightly and it bites into my arm, causing me to wince.
"And she wakes." A voice in the darkness says melodramatically, I look around in alarm and see a figure step into the light that swings above where I sit. I squint and see the one and only Michael Clifford, he was in my year at school, last year, but got kicked out in the first week. He brung a gun to school and threatened a teacher.
"We know you know something, I just need to know what you saw." He says, selecting his words carefully, I again, tried to speak but I couldn't form the words. I needed my anxiety pills, otherwise I would have a panic attack, and I got more anxiety about the impending panic attack, meaning I was stuck in fear, which stopped me from talking. I just shook my head sadly, he roughly readjusted his bright red hair in irritation, as if I were being like this on purpose.
"I don't want to hurt you, seriously, but this was the orders." He said to me, as if I were a corned animal and he was rescuing me. I felt my eyes widen in alarm, I didn't want to get hurt, I just wanted to go home.
I looked down in defeat, but a sharp blow to the side of my face caused me to look straight back up at Michaels face, he looked conflicted but reasonably confident, I felt my eyes sting from the pain, I've been hit like this before when... When.... I can't even think of that time, I've permanently blocked it from my memory.
"Just say what you saw!" Michael shouts in irritation.
"I-I need my p-pills." I splutter out in agony, pointing awkwardly to my pocket, his eyes suddenly dance with a different emotion, and he gingerly reaches into my pocket and pulls out the small bottle, he then reads it, and oddly, he looks understanding.
"How many?" He asks gruffly, avoiding looking at me.
"T-three." I whisper after analysing the situation in my head. He shakes the bottle so that three come out and he puts them in my mouth as I really can't with my hands tied, as soon as I swallow I feel immediately more calm.
"What did you see?" Michael asks again, calmer this time. I feel the side of my head throb from the recent punch, but pretend to ignore it.
"I w-was walking home from work, and I saw a man and he got hit and became unconscious then he told me to hide him so I did and then one of y-your people came and put a-a knife in his...in his..." I babble, recalling the previous night. I can't finish, and I feel tears well in my eyes, I left him to die, I could have stopped it. One tear over spills but Michael just stands there looking at me in shock,
"Yeah, I'll just tell Ashton you have erm, yeah." Michael says backing away. As he leaves the room, he turn the main light on, and I peer around, it looked like a living room, but there was just two sofas on either side, the chair I was sitting on, and a large mirror above one of the sofas, I glanced at the floor and recoiled slightly from horror, it looked like dried blood, that had been attempted to have been washed but was still marking the floor, what sort of place was this?
My thoughts were interrupted as Michael walked into the room, followed by Ashton, I noticed now that they were both wearing jeans and dark coloured t-shirts, I would have expected either smart clothes or the total opposite, they looked... Normal, beside the fact they both had that pin on their t-shirts.
"So you admitted to it? Finally?" Ashton says, humour alight in his eyes, like I was the criminal. Michael remains silent, I would have expected him to say something about my anxiety but he doesn't, they both just stare impassively at me.
"Can I go?" I whisper, I don't even know what time it is, how long was I out for? Ashton laughs,
"Yeah sure." He just says, Michael looks shocked, is this not a usual occurrence? Ashton clicks his fingers and Michael scurried to untie the rope on my arms and legs. Once I'm untied I slowly stand up, not trusting my feet, and both of the boys walk out, not bothering to tell me to follow, I do though.
They walk with quick steps and I scamper quickly behind them, looking at my feet. Once we get to the entrance of the building, Ashton opens the door for me and I stride with as much confidence as I can in the circumstances out, I don't say anything but he calls after me;
"We'll run into each other again soon, Courtney."
What! How does he know my name? Why will we run into each other, I turn to question him but he's gone. I think to where I am and walk unwillingly to my apartment. It's 4 o'clock, I have 2 hours till work. In my apartment I have a quick shower and get changed into my jeans and a cute belly top. I usually don't like showing my belly but this top was too cute not to buy, it has small straps and a bandoo underneath while the top layer is flattering but not too revealing. It even makes me look like I have an hourglass figure. I don't know why I get dressed up, I just feel like it, I look at myself in the mirror, but quickly pull on a jacket, usually I would zip it up, but this time I don't. It's quite humid in London and the humidity makes my hair curl a little, so I leave it down. I walk with purpose through the east side of London but when I walk into the West side, I keep my head down.
When I reach the diy store I see I'm 5 minutes early, which is a change as I'm usually late.
"Hello Courtney, I have your pay check sorted, we're closing early tonight so just go back home. No one comes in anyway." Jan says as soon as I walk in the door, she forces a smile towards me but she looks slightly in pain. What's going on?
"Are you sure you're okay to pack up by yourself?" I ask smiling at Jan, how has she remembered my name?
"Just take your pay check and go," she says, looking at me in fear.
I grab the envelope that says my name and back out of the store, I count the notes in the envelope and realise she's overpaid me over £300!! I turn to go back into the store but the door doesn't open, she's locked it. I sigh and head home, what a strange encounter, well strange describes Jan.
I cautiously walk past the alley that I saw the man get killed, it looks exactly the same as it always does, but I feel myself shudder with fear just from looking at it. It's half past 7 and it's getting darker and the air is getting chillier, I walk past another alley and feel myself get grabbed, a hand pushes itself over my mouth and another pushes me against the wall of the alley, I look into the eyes of the person who's done this to me but don't recognise them.
"You see this?" The man says, pointing to a pin on his top, he's a member of 5 seconds of summer.
"You know what this means?" He asks me, looking deep into my eyes, I nod in fear, and feel blood trickle down the side of my face from where he whacked me against the wall.
"It means I can do whatever I want to you. And you can scream all you like, but no ones going to do nothin'." He says, smiling demonically. Holy shit. He's going to rape me, or worse, kill me!
He pulls a knife out and drags it lightly against the side of my face, occasionally digging it deeper so it cuts into my face, I squeak in pain and feel tears overspill. He drags the hand that was pinning me to the wall down my torso and uses his lower body to pin me against the wall, I feel more tears spill over my eyes, he still has the knife against my face, and he drags it towards my arms, leaving a red Crimson line. I should scream but I know nothing will happen, so I just pray he'll get bored or it'll be over quickly. He suddenly punches me in the gut and I groan and double over in response, he punches me repeatedly, until a loud cough interrupts him from the front of the alley.
"What are you doing?" I hear a gruff Australian accented voice say, Luke!!