Chapter 22

It's now 5 am. I've been sitting on the edge of my bed for a solid hour, debating whether to get up. I know the boys are asleep, as they all went into their rooms straight away when we got back, but I don't if any of them are light sleepers, even when they're drunk. I realise this is the last chance I'll get, as I only have 10 days to get the money to the gang leader. I get up and leave my room, shutting my door quietly. The hallway is quite dark, so I navigate carefully, making sure not to make any loud and sudden noises. I can hear gentle snoring coming from one of the rooms, I'm not sure which. I walk into the big room and see Ashton's jacket, which should contain his wallet. I reach into the right pocket and find it. I open in and see the card I need, and I take it.

I look around just in case I'm being watched, then click the lift button, the whirring sounds 10 x louder than usual and I'm almost sure one of the boys are going to wake up, but none of the doors open. I step into the lift, and type the passcode- 1-7-4-6. Oddly enough, that's the same passcode of Ashton's card, I wonder what it means?

The lift goes down, and I shiver excitedly, this is the first time I've ever done anything reckless. There are no people on the bottom floor of the whole building like there usually are when I come down here, and I step into the cold night air.

I walk the streets and see no one, apart from a few commuters who look half asleep. I reach the bank that is Ashton's and put the card in and type in the pin, when it says how much money I can take out, I realise I never did clarify how much they needed. I decide 2,000 would be enough, but the atm says I need to go inside to take out that amount. I sigh, then walk into the bank, one lone lady sits behind the clear screen,

"Hi, I need to take out a large amount of money, but the atm said I need to come in here." I shrug and she takes the card,

"Your not Mr Irwin." She says, looking at me scrutinisingly,

"He asked me to come and get the money." I shrug,

she sighs, "Usually a lot of paperwork would be involved, but I'm tired and my shift is over in....8 minutes....so I'm just gonna let you take it out. How much do you want?" She asks, I cannot believe my luck,

"2,000. Please." I say nervously. She goes into a huge safe, and pulls out 4 bundles of cash,

"500 is in each of the bundles." She says, getting me to sign to say I've taken out the money, and then taking the money from his account.

I walk out of the bank, putting the money in my pockets, while I put the money in, I get my phone out, and call the gang leader,
"I've got the money." I say clearly,
"Great, come to your apartment, we'll be there." He laughs, then shuts of the call. Why are they at my apartment?

Each step makes me feel even more apprehensive about this whole situation, and before I know it, I'm outside my apartment building. I open the door, and walk up the stairs, tripping on one step due to my nervousness, but then I am stood outside my door. I tap lightly, and it swings open, I look at the lock and realise someone had broken in, I walk in, looking around. All of the mess is a lot worse, and whoever has been staying here, has been here a while. There is an eerily light coming from my bedroom, and I tiptoe tentatively into the room.

I feel my heart drop at what I see, sitting, tied up, on a metal chair, is my mother she has duct tape over her mouth and blood splattered up her legs, I look down and realise where the blood was coming from. On the floor is a body, that looks recently killed. I cover my mouth with my hands and find it difficult to breathe, I need my fucking pills. I notice that there is another figure, sitting on my bed, I gasp in shock when the figure turns.
"Dad?!"