Chapter Six - The True Story

Zeke tried to hold his grip from getting loose. He didn't know how to begin or how to make Winter believe him, but he had no choice but to tell her the whole story - the story of why he was so concerned of Mrs. Red Wood.

"Alright," Zeke said finally, "My father was Mrs. Red Wood's Grandmother's friend."

"Huh?" Winter got confused. "What?"

"Red Wood's Grandmother, Olivia, was my father's person. In fact, they were best friends. Although my father was a wolf, he didn't want to harm anyone especially Olivia. They were just so close."

"What? You can't be serious." Winter didn't want to believe him but...

"Yes," Zeke replied, "I am serious." And he continued, "Things were very fine back then, but when our pack found out about my father's relationship with a human, they got furious. They had to stop it so they planned to attack Olivia, but then Olivia was a very clever old woman. She transferred somewhere very far from the town right after finding out the wolves' plans. So the next day, the wolves didn't find her."

Although Winter had no intention to believe him and had no intention to listen to him even further, her cat ears were still attached to his story somehow.

"But after a few days," Zeke went on, "the wolves found out that Olivia actually had a granddaughter, who is Mrs. Red Wood, so they made another plan. They used Mrs. Red Wood as a way to find Olivia, and yes, they found her. But then, after gobbling up Olivia whole, they weren't pleased. They wanted to hurt her granddaughter as well so one of them disguised themselves as Olivia."

Zeke turned silent not sure if he should continue but then...

"Then what?" Winter suddenly said unexpectedly as she lay on the snow ready to listen to what happened next.

"Uhm..." Zeke got stunned, but in some way, he knew that he might have grabbed Winter's attention so he continued, "Well, when Mrs. Wood arrived at Olivia's house, she found one of the wolves disguised as her grandmother, but she didn't know that. When the wolves were about to eat her as she was unconscious on the floor right after they scared her, my father arrived to save Mrs. Wood from getting killed. He told them to leaver her alone, but the wolves didn't listen. They fought each other until each of them bled. My father was one of the best wolves. He always won in duels. As he fought, he bit one of the wolves' legs causing it to bleed a lot of blood. But then, the fight stopped right after the woodcutter arrived at the door. The other wolves went off before the woodcutter entered, leaving my father behind. When the woodcutter saw Mrs. Red Wood unconscious on the floor and my father beside her with blood dripping down from his mouth, thinking that my father was the one who attacked Olivia, the woodcutter..."

Zeke paused for a moment and continued, "... killed him."

"Uh... I'm sorry..." Winter was about to say, feeling pity, but then, "I mean-that's not true. Mrs. Olivia never had a wolf as a friend."

"Really?" Zeke looked at Winter, "Try looking at Mrs. Olivia's photo. You'll notice a wolf beside her. That wolf is my father."

"Humph," Winter forced herself to not listen, "I still don't believe you." And she ran away back inside.

"Wa-wait!" Zeke cried but Winter was already gone.

Nevermind. He thought but then...

Winter suddenly came back.

"Huh?" Zeke was curious of why she returned.

"Uhm-thanks for my ball by the way," Winter suddenly said, "but it doesn't mean we're friends," and she picked up her ball and ran back to her house again.

"Uh..." Zeke didn't really understand what just happened, but for sure, he knew that Winter was some cat.