Chapter Two - Who Goes There?

For the past few days, as the winter season kept going, Leta would always fly over to Winter's place. She would check on her or have some fun.

"Hey, Winter!" Leta chirped as she landed on the pile of cut-off wood lying near Scarlet's cottage, "Watcha doin'?"

"Oh," Winter said, feeling happy to see Leta again, "Nothing much. I'm just playing with the new ball that Scarlet gave me."

"Oh, I see." Leta flew over to Winter and asked, "Can I join you?"

"Sure," Winter replied, giving the ball to Leta, but then--Whoops!--Leta tripped as she tried to catch the ball with her tiny bird feet.

"Oh my! Are you alright?" Winter approached Leta, who was now lying on the snow.

"Aww..." Leta pouted sadly, "I can't grab it."

"Haha," Winter laughed a bit but not in a way to hurt Leta's feelings. "It's okay, Leta. Let me help you."

After helping Leta up, Winter said while still holding the ball with her paw, "Why don't you try using your head and beak to stop and roll the ball?"

"Okay," Leta replied, nodding as Winter rolled the ball to her.

So, as the ball approached her, Leta pushed it back to Winter with her beak and head. The small red ball soon passed by Winter's side.

"Good job," Winter smiled at Leta, feeling impressed.

"Yeah!" Leta chirped happily.

"Let's play 'Pass.' You okay with that?" Winter suggested as she began to roll the ball again.

"Alright!" Leta nodded, and as time slowly passed by, Leta and Winter were already having fun.

"Catch, Winter!" Leta said as she rolled the ball.

"Okay!" But then, Winter suddenly caught the ball too hard that it bounced away and over the river, unexpectedly landing at the other side within the bushes.

"Oh no!" Winter cried, "My ball!"

"Don't worry, Winter." Leta said as she began to fly up, "I'll get it for you."

"No. Leta, wait!" Winter was about to stop Leta from going to the other side, "Don't!" But she already flew away.

At the other side of the river, Leta thought as she went through the bushes, "Where did that ball go?"

Then suddenly, as she was a few steps away from the first bush she went through, she finally saw the ball lying on the clear white snow.

Yes! Leta thought happily, hoping to bring it back safely, only until the feeling of someone else's presence rushed through her spine.

As Leta was very close to getting the ball, the stump of an unknown paw with dark claws appeared before her. She slowly lifted her head to see what it was, and to her surprise, she quickly froze with fear. She finally saw the terrifying creature right in front of her. Its eyes stared at her dauntingly, and its warm breath passed through her blue feathers. It made her instantly forget the ball.

"Uh-uh-Winter!" Leta chirped as she flew away from where the ball and the terrifying creature were. In fear, she returned to the other side where Winter waited.

"Leta!" Winter suddenly stood alert as she saw how frightened Leta looked. "What happened?"

"Winter!" Leta chirped again until she heard the sound of rustling leaves.

"Huh?" Winter heard something coming, so she faced the other side and said bravely aloud, "Who goes there!? Whoever you are, show yourself!"

The rustling sound of the leafy bushes finally stopped, but Winter still sensed the other creature's presence.

"Show yourself!" Winter repeated, slowly getting quite irritated as she was doing the exact position when she met Leta. "Don't make me tell you again!"

"Winter, don't," Leta pleaded as she hid behind Winter, "It's-it's-it's..."

"It's what?" Winter looked at Leta somehow frustratingly, wanting to know what it is until, "Alright, I-I'll show myself," a voice from the other side spoke.

Leta and Winter waited at the other side when the bushes began to rustle again. And as they stood waiting, the figure slowly appeared before them. It was indeed a WOLF.