Chapter One - Hello Blue Bird

When the glistering morning came, Scarlet's cat Winter went out and played in the snow by the riverside. Winter was her very favorite season. Not because it was her name, but because the snow was her favorite hiding place. Being a white cat, hiding within the shimmering coat of ice was a huge advantage for her.

Moments later, while Winter minded her own business, there was a rustling sound from the bushes beside her. She stood steadily alert. Her tail pointed at the sky, with her silky whiskers straightening and her eyes staring dauntingly at the bushes.

"Who goes there?" Winter meowed bravely.

"Please help!" Someone suddenly chirped.

Winter approached the bush after hearing the tiny cry. She peeked at the bushes and saw a little bluebird stuck within its twigs.

"Huh! No!" The bluebird grew terrified as she saw Winter. She was a CAT. "Please! D-Don't eat me!" The bird pleaded as it tried to break free.

"H-Hey... I won't hurt you." Winter replied as she slowly placed her paw on one of the twigs to keep it steady and used the other to get the struggling bluebird out. "Trust me. Just hold still." Little by little, the bluebird was finally set free.

"You-you freed me." The bluebird chirped in surprise. She thought wrong about the found-to-be-kind cat. "But why?"

Winter smiled. "My mistress always told me to be kind to small animals, even with mice, although it is always fun to chase them."

The little bluebird gulped for a moment. It made Winter laugh.

"Oh! Don't worry. I won't chase you." Winter said, "Anyway, the name's Winter. What's yours?"

"Uhm, I'm Leta." Leta chirped. "Thank you for saving me--and not eating me either."

"You're very welcome." Winter replied pleasantly and asked, "And I don't mean to pry, but how did you get yourself stuck there in the first place?"

"Well," Leta began, "I was picking up some winter berries on the snow until some random wolf came up behind me. So I quickly flew away and over the river and eventually crash-landed here." She pointed at the bush with her left wing. "I've been stuck there for a while, I think. But thanks to you, I'm finally free! I literally would have died."

"I see." Winter nodded, "I'm glad that the wolf didn't get you, but that's pretty strange."

"What's strange?"

"You see," Winter explained, "wolves aren't always this close to the river. They come to steal our sheep and chickens, but I've never heard wolves coming this close in mid daylight. It's worrisome."

"Oh, I get what you mean," Leta replied. "From what I've heard from the forest folk, their territory is losing resources these days. And because of that, they're going beyond wolf territory to hunt. They are practically starving."

"Good for them!" Winter began to growl, "I hope they starve to death. It's their fault anyway. Being selfish and that."

"Uhm, yeah." Leta nodded, feeling a bit worried now that Winter suddenly looked angry. It startled her.

"Those wolves are all so troublesome!" Winter soon exclaimed, which scared Leta even more. Winter's resentment towards the wolves began to overpower her. Just thinking of them made her blood curdle. "All they ever think about is themselves! If I ever catch a wolf in my sight, I'll PUT THEM DOWN!"

Eventually, Winter's shouting made Leta trip a little bit, but she luckily kept her balance. "T-That is very brave of you...but wouldn't that be a little dangerous?"

"Yeah!" Winter nodded. "But so what!?"

Silence followed, and Winter soon realized how aggressive she was.

"Oh-Oh my, I'm so sorry," Winter said as she looked down, feeling ashamed, "I got carried away there. I just hate wolves."

"It's okay," Leta replied with a slight chirp, "I understand..."

"I'm so sorry," Winter repeated. "It's just that..." She paused and continued. "Long ago, Mrs. Red Wood, my first mistress, and her grandmother Olivia were attacked by a wolf. That 'very' incident changed everything in the village..."

"Wait!" Leta jolted with surprise, "Red? Do you mean Little Red Riding Hood? Are you Little Red Riding Hood's cat!?"

"Oh. So you heard. Why yes, I am. The one and only," Winter smiled with a little bit of pride, "But right now, I have a new mistress. Her daughter Scarlet -- a sweet girl she is."

"Whoa. That's wonderful." Leta nodded from such news.

Little Red Riding Hood's story was not only famous to humans but also animals. It was amazing how she survived and grew up carrying such a scary memory. She was indeed a strong little girl. Now a strong woman, that is.

"To tell you the truth," Leta said. "I also hate wolves. Well, who doesn't?"

Winter laughed. "True," She said.

"Anyway," Leta continued, "I've had a bad experience with them, too, besides the one I had today."

"Oh?" Winter's looked at her in curiosity.

"Yeah," Leta thought, "When I was just little--well, little-er--I suddenly fell as I tried learning how to fly. As I tried to get back up, a wolf appeared and was about to attack me. That's until papa came to save me. But by doing so, papa, unfortunately..."

Without even saying it, Winter understood. Leta's papa didn't survive.

"So now, without papa to take care of me," Leta continued, "I am all alone. I wanted to avenge Him, but how can I? I'm just a bird and, in fact, the smallest bluebird in the East. The other bluebirds laugh and tease me for my size, so I don't have any friends either."

"Well," Winter looked at Leta's frown. She knew how it felt to be lonely, and then, she suddenly smiled. "If you want, I'll be your friend." She offered.

"Huh?" Leta looked confused. "You want to be my friend?"

"Yes," Winter nodded. "There's no problem with being friends, is there?"

"Yes--uh--I mean, no. There is no problem at all!" Leta flapped her wings with joy. Even if being friends with a cat may seem unusual, why not? It might not be so bad. Besides, Winter did save Leta's life, after all. "Thanks, Winter! I hope we get along!"

"Yeah, I hope so too!"

And from that day forward, the two--the cat and the little bluebird--surprisingly became the best of friends.