Chapter Seventeen - Infatuation

Joyce and Tracy stood frozen as they stared at Marrok, thinking of what might happen next.

"What do you want, Marrok?" Joyce asked furiously.

Joyce, the mother of Zeke, is a very brave and strong wolf. She was one of the warrior wolves in her time. She was much stronger than the hunting wolves. And at that time of her age of fighting, that's when she met Zeke's father who was a hunting wolf, but in secret, a philosopher wolf.

"Of course you know what I mean, Joyce," Marrok replied as he looked into Joyce's strong stare. "You always know what I mean."

"Actually, Marrok, I don't..." Joyce was about to say until Marrok suddenly clawed her down.

"Mom!" Tracy cried, "Please stop!" And she began to think... Zeke, where are you?

***

Zeke was alone again as Winter was no longer there to talk to him, so he decided to stroll around the forest, but somewhere far away from his home. As he strolled, he suddenly felt something strange like a struck of sorrow was buried deep into his heart.

Hm... He thought as he walked on the snow. Why do I feel this way? Am I just missing something?

"Zeke!" Winter's meow echoed into his head.

"What the?"

Zeke suddenly shook his head as Winter's joyful call echoed in his mind.

What was that? He thought as he tried to continue his stroll, trying to preoccupy his mind with something else but... It feels so strange. I seem so lonely without Winter around...

"Oh..." someone suddenly said, "falling, huh?"

Zeke turned around and found out that it was the chipmunk from before.

"It-it's you," Zeke gasped, "Why...?""

"Yeah, I know..." The chipmunk went down from the tree, "I just really like going down here, you know. So..." He came closer to Zeke, "I see that you have problems with your heart, huh?"

"What?" Zeke didn't understand, "My heart?"

"What he meant to say was that you're falling in love, sonny." The woodpecker suddenly appeared beside him. "It seems quite obvious."

"Yeah," the chipmunk nodded. "You and that cat..." He winked an eye as he drew a heart in the air.

"What!?" Zeke reacted, knowing that what they meant was such a ridiculous idea. "No way that's what I'm feeling! I can't be in love with Winter. She-she's a cat while I'm a-a wolf! Are you crazy?"

"What? Us, crazy?" The chipmunk raised his hands until shoulder level, "C'mon. You've gotta be kidding me. It is truly obvious that you're missing that cat and that you want her in your life."

"Well, I do miss her...but what you're saying about loving her isn't true."

"Oh, really?" The chipmunk smiled sheepishly as he rubbed his chin.

After seeing Zeke nod, showing that he really didn't have special feelings for Winter, the chipmunk swiftly approached him with two tiny berries in his ears and a flat pebble on his hand. He slowly placed the pebble against Zeke's chest as if it was like a stethoscope.

"Ahh..." The chipmunk said as he felt his heartbeat, "You do. You're heart said so."

"What?" Zeke felt dumbfounded, "Are you crazy? You can't even hear a thing with those berries in your ears."