Chapter Sixteen - Changeling

The pleasant morning woke everyone's eyes.

It was a beautiful morning for everyone, but as Joyce and Tracy woke up from their sleep, seeing that Zeke was nowhere beside them, they tried looking for him at the hill, at his favorite parts of the forest-everywhere!

"Oh no," Tracy said.

***

At Winter's house, Winter just woke up. She felt a bit excited for some reason that she quickly made a stretch and a very relieving purr. She wanted to go out, but she was stopped by Scarlet who held her bowl filled with her breakfast.

"Don't you think about it, Winter." Scarlet said as she placed the bowl in front of Winter, "You should eat first."

"Meow," Winter purred and began eating, but in a way that seemed so fast.

"Hm..." Scarlet noticed, "Where have you been last night, Winter? And you seem quite different like you just changed so suddenly."

"Meow," Winter just purred, but honestly, she was kinda curious herself.

After finishing her bowl of breakfast, Winter quickly left and began to go out. Scarlet was about to say something, but she decided not to. She just allowed Winter to do her thing. But to Leta, things were getting fishy.

Hm... Leta thought, I wonder...

When Winter was finally outside, she began to jump in the snow which made her feel surprised.

"Hm..." She said to herself as she buried her paws in the snow, "Why do I feel so hyper this morning?"

"Was it because of something you just ate?" Someone suddenly said. It was Zeke.

"Ha," Winter was surprised and happy at the same time, "Zeke!"

"We meet again..." Zeke smiled.

"Yes, we meet again," Winter nodded.

"So, what's up?" Zeke asked as he sat down.

"Well, nothing much. Just playing around in the snow like always. What about you?"

"Well," Zeke thought as he didn't feel that hyper as Winter, "Just...fine..."

"Zeke," Winter noticed something wrong, "What's wrong? Want to talk about it?"

Zeke sighed, "Well... I'm not sure..."

"Oh c'mon," Winter cut him off, "You can tell me anything. I promise I won't tell..."

"Really?"

Winter nodded.

Seeing her nod and pleasant smile, Zeke took a deep breath so that he could begin his story of depression. As Zeke told Winter about what was going on in his life, Winter began to concentrate in listening even more.

"My pack doesn't understand me, even my family. They think what I'm doing is a crime." Zeke looked down, "So...I ran away from home... But I just want to let every human being know that all wolves aren't that bad, and especially, I want them to know of my father's innocence, but-but it seems so hard."

"So why continue?" Winter asked.

"Because I believe I can prove it. I do believe I can."

Silence grew until...

"And so, I believe as well..."

Zeke looked up to look at Winter's smile.

"You know what, Zeke, I really do believe that you can prove it to them." Winter purred encouragingly, "And to be honest, I would like to help you in this quest...because I do believe that all wolves are not that bad and that your father is innocent. And...you're the proof of that."

Zeke became silent afterwards as he buried those words in his mind and heart. Before, Winter said that she would never be friends with a wolf, that she didn't trust them, and that she didn't believe anything with what Zeke said, but now, things have quite changed. Winter trusted and believed in Zeke for some reason.

"Thank you," Zeke smiled as he continued to stare at smiling Winter.

"Don't mention it," Winter replied.

Honestly, Zeke has never seen Winter that blooming and joyful before. He would always see her looking at him angrily and stubbornly. But then, he knew from her smiles that she trusted him, that she was really the best friend that he ever had in his life.

***

"Mom," Tracy cried as she saw her mother. "Zeke's gone. He isn't here. Anywhere."

"What?" Joyce was surprised as she knew that things were going out of hand, "I knew this would happen."

"What?"

"Tracy, we need to leave now." Joyce suddenly said as she gave Tracy that very persistent stare.

"Uh-okay..."

But before they could leave, Marrok blocked the exit with two wolves, Adolf and Hemming, beside him.

"Where's Zeke?" Marrok asked as he stared sternly.

***

As Zeke and Winter just stood silent, Zeke began to think of some dumb and reckless question.

"Hey, Winter..." Zeke said.

"Yeah?" Winter listened.

"Uhm... Winter, I..."

"Winter!" Scarlet suddenly called out from inside the house, "Winter! Where are you, girl?"

"Oh, it's my Mistress," Winter cried and she turned her head back to Zeke. "I have to go, Zeke. Just tell me once I get back, okay?"

"Winter, it's time for your therapy." Scarlet suddenly said. Therapy, meaning: bathing and grooming.

"Or I might return much later."

"Therapy?" Zeke suddenly got baffled.

"Uhm-uh-It's just nothing. It's just something-something that..."

"WINTER! Or else I'll make the water for your bath cold!"

Winter's fur stood up as she heard that statement from Scarlet. Winter terribly hates baths when the water is cold.

"Oh man," Winter whined as she began to run away, "I really have to go, Zeke. Bye."

"Uh-okay," Zeke nodded as he watched Winter run away, heading to the inside of her house. "Hm..."