Chapter Nineteen - Ambush

In the cold forest, Zeke continued his way, heading to nowhere. He didn't know where to go next. His heart was filled with anxiety; it was broken like shattered glass.

"Why did I do that?" He asked himself regretfully as he looked down at the snow. "Now, I have lost a friend."

As he continued walking to nowhere, feeling empty inside, he heard a thud from the distance.

"Hey..." Someone called out to him. "Where have you been?"

It was Adolf, Hemming and a group of other wolves. When Zeke saw this, he wasn't alert or surprised. Their presence was like nothing to him. He didn't want to fight back nor mind them at all. He was all silent and empty. His expression was blank and weak.

"Aww..." Adolf did a fake whine, "How poor. What happened? Cat got your tongue?"

But seeing that there was still no response from the empty Zeke who was motionless at the center, Adolf pushed Zeke away very hard.

"Move it!" Adolf barked.

As Zeke kept himself silent still ignoring everything, Adolf and his other wolf companions began to beat him up. Zeke was hit multiple times, but he didn't seem to feel like fighting back even though he was already getting hurt.

"Leave me alone, Adolf," Zeke finally said wearingly as Adolf was pressing him down to the snow with his paw. "I have no reason to fight you."

Adolf suddenly chuckled as Zeke looked emotionless while the other wolves chuckled as well. They had something in mind.

"Haven't you heard?" Adolf whispered into Zeke's ear. "Lord Marrok has a special surprise for you back home."

Zeke's reaction was just blank as night for he didn't care if Adolf was talking about his punishment or execution, but then, his mind was struck with shock and anger when Adolf added a very revolting statement...

"I wonder how it would feel if you had your sister's head for dinner, hm?"

Zeke's grey razor-like eyes widened with its pupils sharpened like a snake's as he was shocked and filled with anger which made him ruthlessly push Adolf away.

Zeke growled as he began to fight violently with the other wolves that were surrounding him, but eventually, he was no match with their number and strength. Zeke lost.

"Haha," Adolf chuckled as he watched the injured Zeke lying on the snow, bleeding slightly. "Lord Marrok will be so pleased."

Zeke panted on the snow as he looked up at Adolf with a dark piercing stare.

After a while, as the skies were getting dim with dark clouds, Zeke was brought back to his home or prison. He was limping and filled with bruises everywhere.

When they finally arrived by a large rock, Zeke saw Marrok from a far, giving him a very stern and cruel stare. Adolf pushed Zeke harshly towards Marrok and he landed in front of Marrok's feet.

"Welcome back, Zeke..." Marrok said calmly as if he was respecting him. "I thought you'd never return."

"I would have..." Zeke answered wearily as he was lying on the snow, "...if you didn't ambush me."

"Well, we didn't have a choice..." Marrok bent his head down beside Zeke's as his breath passed through Zeke's fur.

Marrok pressed Zeke's head against the rough cold snow and continued, "You have broken the most forbidden rule several times, and because of that, you just brought you and your family to an atrocious demise. Doesn't it feel so wonderful?"

"Don't you dare hurt my family," Zeke raised his hoarse voice, penetrating Marrok's sharp claws that were beginning to pierce his throat. "They have nothing to do with what I did. Just kill me; not them."

"No," Marrok continued, "To make it more interesting and fun, it would be nice to torture your family before you." Then he ckuckled, "It seems so much fun to see you go crazy after that."

Marrok stared at one of the wolves that stood with a group and ordered, "Take this smothering dog to the Death Cave. We'll torture him and his family at dusk."

The wolves howled as Marrok walked away, leaving Zeke being harshly dragged to the Death Cave where he was imprisoned until his execution.

As Zeke was trapped inside with no way out and only with a tiny hole piercing near the top of the cave, Zeke looked down at the rocky floor with regret, feeling extremely depressed with what was happening. He didn't only bring his life in danger, but also his family.

"I shouldn't have run away...hu...hu....GAHH!" Zeke cried aloud as he began to violently scratch the rocks with his claws inside the cave and bump his head around.

He howled psychotically, feeling so depressed that made him lose his mind completely. He felt dark and empty as he was slowly going insane. He only thought of hurting himself.

Why? He thought as he struck himself down to the rough ground What have I done?